Customs: Help with making model space ships?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Hi guys. I've been working with apoxie sculpt for about a month now and I'm starting to get the hang of working with it. I'm currently working on another sculpture of a Spinosaurus and it should be done hopefully by next week (And when it's finished I'll definitely be posting pics of it here! :D ).

But I wanted to get prepared for what I plan to do next. I think I'm going to push my skills beyond the limit and make this bad boy right here:

[​IMG]

That's right, the SSV Normandy SR-2 from the Mass Effect series.

Usually I'm good on working with organic sculptures, but with something mechanical I have trouble making it just right, usually problems with making it symmetrical. When making dinosaurs I usually just go with the flow and make the best out of whatever problems I come across, and symmetry comes along naturally when sculpting it. I plan to make an armature out of cardboard and wood and cover it with a layer of apoxie sculpt, and when it hardens I'll sculpt in the details then paint it over.

Anyone here who has alot of experience with making models from scratch could you offer some tips to a fellow artist? It would be much appreciated :) 
    Basically I need help on the following:
    -Sculpting artificial/mechanical details
    -Keeping symmetry in check

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Your best bet would be to draw that puppy out in top, side, and front views. That will take care of any problems in symmetry right off the bat,and it will give you the main reference you'll need in making it.
    before I recomend any building techinques here are some questions.
    1)How big are you planning on making this?
    2)will it light up at all?

Randy!

3. Tyrannosaur

1.) Not sure if I want to make it 24" or 30", most likely 30" because usually I'm better at sculpting with larger objects, makes adding detail easier for me.

2.) I have no experience with lighting but damn now that you mentioned it that would be pretty sweet :D  I'll go look up some tutorials around here and see if I'm up for it. I do want it to make it look as if it was lit up though, maybe some sort of light-piping fed throughout the model to light up the windows and everything. That would be cool.

4. Bigbot3030

With that size I'd try and make it hollow to cut down on weight and materials. You'd have to build inner frames and then lay on sheets of plastic (or even thin wood) to make the outside shape. It's kind of like how ship and airplane modelers work. Does that make sense?

Lights- this is pretty cool, and if it doesn't work out, it's not like it cost that much http://www.micromark.com/Fiber-Optics-Experimenters-Kit,9279.html

Randy!

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I'd go styrene and balsa wood for this. Epoxy sculpt would weigh it down a lot and cost a ton.

6. Tyrannosaur

Okay, I made my decision. It's going to be between 12"-16" in length (I don't know where the hell I would display this thing if it was over 24" :lol )

I am in the process of drawing schematics as we speak. I'll post them tomorrow I'll be finished by them. I found a ton of images of the ship at like every angle so that will be helpful indeed.

7. Bigbot3030

Yes, you can never have to much reference material.

Randy!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. Tyrannosaur

Almost finished with the blue prints. Would have been finished sooner but I got sidetracked by a few model kits I got in the mail :lol 

Man I suck at drawing straight lines lol. I have the dimensions of how big this bad boy is gonna be:
    Length- 24"
    Height (Wings)- 5"
    Height (Body)- 2"
    Width (Wings) 10"
    Width (Body) 2.5"

Big enough for it to be easier to sculpt in the small details, but small enough so I can display it and it won't cost me a paycheck or two to complete. And yes the inside of the model (Where the armature is) will be hollow and made of a wooden/cardboard frame, and covered over by a layer of Aves' apoxy sculpt.