Customs: help with LED's

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jaspimus Prime, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Jaspimus Prime

Jaspimus Prime Well-Known Member

hi guys, ive seen lots of people changing the LED's in there leader optimus primes, and i want to do it to, my question is....

other then size (which i think has to be 3mm for leader prime) are there any power specifics i have to worry about i suck at electronics, i know proper bulbs have wattages like 30w etc etc...do LED's have a similar system and if so what type do i need for prime???

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks in advance :->

2. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Most white and blue LEDs have a forward voltage of around 3.5v. You can these from a 3 volt battery (2xAA/AAA or watch battery) without any resistors.

Red ones are around 2.2v. To run these from the same battery you would need a 40 ohm resistor on the positive side of each red LED.

If you want to run the LEDs on a higher voltage like a 12v plug pack you would need to add resistors to all LEDs. There is a formula to work this out but with leader Prime he already has a 3v power source so you can just wire them straight into that. You can also keep the mechalive system if you want and have your LEDs on a switch.

If you look at the specs for LEDs you wil see an MCD rating for example 5000mcd, this is the brightness of the LED. I use 5000mcd LEDs all round and if some are too bright I add resistors to them to reduce the brighness.

On prime I have the 4 headlights wired through one 100ohm resistor, the lights in his head chest and swords have no resistors.

3mm LEDs are the go for prime, if you do the headlights you dont have much plastic to work with so be careful.

There's a link in my sig to a Ratchet LED tutorial, all those methods can be applied to Prime.

Wire all your LEDs up in parallell, and don't forget to paint the inside of the head black.

Hakka.

3. fallensinn

fallensinn D E A T H

Ebay:
    could you give some more info on resistors.. is there a certain kind? do you have pics.. thanks for the vast knowledge you have already shared.

4. Jaspimus Prime

Jaspimus Prime Well-Known Member

wow cheers hakka, ive only scan read that now but i will def read it and absorb :) 
    i think im just gonna do the head for now, i love your headlight and sword mods but there a bit too advanced....for now, i would love to be able to do it all though cos they look sooooooooooo cool all lit up...maybe when i get a bit better :->

LED's should be here in the next couple of days :)  might even consider adding a switch so that i can turn them on and off......if i work out how to do it that is :-s