Help with hooking up a PC to a TV screen (And some other minor bugs)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tyrannosaur, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I tried reading the instructions but they're coming off as a foreign language to me :lol 

I'm trying to hook up my computer to my flatscreen I got a few months back. Here are the details for both.

Computer
    -Dell Inspiron 531s
    -Windows Vista
    -GeForce 9600 GT graphics card installed

Television
    -Visio VA26L HDTV

I tried plugging in the RGB cable (The cable with the blue head on it) but I get an error message on the TV about my graphics card not being plugged it. My graphics card uses a cable with a white head on it that plugs from the card into my regular computer monitor.

And one more problem I'm having: Randomly my monitor will go black and it will read "Entering powersave mode" and it's becoming a real pain in the ass. Before I would just unplug then plug my monitor's power back in and it's fine but I just got a game today called Universe at War and while playing it my screen goes black and there is nothing I can to do turn it back on besides shutting down my computer.

Any help on one or both of these issues would be greatly appreciated right now, and thank you in advance for helping :D 

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Get a DVI-HDMI cable. Problem solved for hooking it up to a TV, since that's what I did until I got a Video Card with native HDMI.

3. Tyrannosaur

Sweet! Thanks for the help dude I just got one and it's working beautifully. Hopefully I'm not going to have the same problem with it going into powersave mode.

Thanks again! :D 

EDIT: Same damn problem! :banghead:  still goes into powersave mode even though I have everything turned off. I have the right power supply and my computer doesn't even feel overheated in the slightest bit. Hell, I was better off selling this piece of shit and putting that money towards a new computer.

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I am assuming that your checked you screen saver settings?

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    He might wanna check the power settings too, if he's got Vista or Win7. I don't remember if XP had them though.

6. Tyrannosaur

Yep, screen saver is off and I have Vista. I turned off all the power settings and it still happens. I don't get it, all my other games work perfectly with my PC, never had a problem with them once (They freeze up once in a while but I usually run a disk defrag and it solves the problem.) but with Universe at War, which is a game that came out long before the games I play on my PC, is the only game that has this problem.

I'd go to the game's website/forums but it appears they no longer exist :( 

My uncle told me there was a program that completely disabled power save mode on your PC but I'm unable to find it.