Customs: Help with Google Sketchup / Shapeways: Resizing without model degredation

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by blaynescott, Feb 21, 2012.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

I've been working on a Classics-Deluxe scale Grimlock head in Google Sketchup for the past 2 days, and I'm ready to export it to Meshlab, then check it in Netfabb for errors.

The problems are...

In Sketchup, I'm trying to resize the model to the correct scale (1.4cm wide), but I noticed that after resizing, the edges degrade (?!), resulting in a substantial loss of detail. That shouldn't happen in any 3D program. :( 

So, trying to just export it as-is from Sketchup into Meshlab (which is just used to save it as a .STL file?), then Netfabb (which is just used to run mesh-correct scripts?) - results in an error from Shapeways.

Either there's still some wacky errors with the model, or it's not resizing correctly.

Just... it's really frustrating. Any suggestions, or offers to check out the model (maybe I'm missing something?) would be much appreciated.

Update Feb 22: Done! Thanks to a cool guy on the Shapeways forum, I figured out what the problem was (internal facets that Sketchup created when drawing boxes on top of boxes - like where the mouthplate was, or the top of the helmet). I deleted those in Netfabb, so I could see inside, deleted the offending facts - then ran the fixing/patch hole scripts -- and voila. :) 

I resized the head to 13mm wide to fit the Crossover 'Hulk Tank' body I'm using for my Grimlock. I'll be ordering the head today, and will post in my Heavy Customs thread the results. :) 

-Blayne

Attached Files: