Help with fixing misassembled knees

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TripBitSh00ter, Jan 3, 2018.

1. TripBitSh00ter

TripBitSh00ter Well-Known Member

I have a ROTF Superion, and as many of you people probably know, the Silverbolt component bot of Superion has a large scale misassembly issue with the knees.

Like many other people, i tried the fix for it which many have done successfully. However, the screws on one leg seem to be glued in and i stripped the screws trying to get them out, while the other leg can be disassembled just fine.

Anyone here who can help me with taking out a screw which is both stripped and glued in?

2. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

You have a couple of options with a stripped screw. I will assume you have tried to remove the screw by the usual methods of trying to pry out the screw directly, or applying a magnetic bit to pull it out. I am not sure how the screw can be still glued in, but I presume it's affixed to another part that you can remove it from.

If you can see the freely spinning tip on the other side of the part, you can tap out the screw with a punch and some gentle taps on the tip side, with just enough tapping to get the head of the screw exposed, and then grasp it and them remove. If you cannot access the tip of the screw to give it some taps, your other option is to drill out the screw. For this, you will need some sort of bit that is narrower than the calibre of the screw, which is challenging if the screw is small. The idea is to drill just enough so that the bit gets stuck in the metal head of the screw, then withdraw it out along with the screw.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If you have a screwdriver that you don't mind sacrificing, you can also carefully epoxy it to the screw head. Just make sure to use something strong that sticks well to metal.

4. TripBitSh00ter

The screw did not even budge when i used the screwdriver. It just stayed there. And this is only happening with one leg. The screws on the other leg were unscrewed with almost no effort.

Actually, i think i may be using the term "stripped" wrongly? Just to clarify, what i meant was that the screw head just became one big hole after constant turning of the screwdriver to try and get the screw out. Prying it out is not an option because i will spoil the screw track and not be able to reassemble the leg

5. TripBitSh00ter

U mean sticking them together?

That isnt an option either. I need the screw to reassemble the leg after rearranging the misassembled parts.

6. flamepanther

If you've stripped the head of the screw already, you're going to need to replace it anyway.

7. TripBitSh00ter

That's tru, tho im not sure where to get a similar one

8. flamepanther

I've always obtained mine from cheap "junker" Transformers, but others might have better suggestions.

9. TripBitSh00ter

I doubt i will find one with an exact fit for two different sized screws. And being a student, every dollar matters :p 

10. Scowly Prowl

Ooooooh, you meant that you stripped the head/rounded the head of the screw - I assumed you had stripped the threads of the screw (which is possible if the screw goes into plastic).

Your option with a stripped screw head is still the same - you can tap the screw head so that you can remove it. You can drill it out (as I had previously suggest) but if the screw is small that could be a problem. The other is to try and use another driver to fit rounded hole, and press the driver head in deeply and firmly (without damaging the material the screw is set into) using a Robertson (square), Torx, or hex driver. In a pinch, you can try a flathead driver where it fits into the widest part of the rounded hole, and screw it out that way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    You can make a trip to home depot and get an "easy out" kit or "screw extractor" kit. It's a process but can save your figure. Generally yo drill into the stripped section and then use the easy out bit to backnout the screw. The easy out bits are designed to dig into the stripped screw whe you are drilling in reverse (loosening the screw). Definitely take your time and read the instructions and understand what you are doing. Kits are generally less than 10 bucks.

Also if it's not too rounded out you can try a flat head that fits tightly in the widest poertion of the stripped screw head. Good luck man!

EDIT: Scowly Prowl said my second idea just above

12. Scowly Prowl

I find that with the smaller screws used in toys, the screw extractor kits can be hard to come by to get the metal out without munching up the plastic around the screw in question. I don't know how small the screw in question is, but those tiny screws are a challenge to remove if the head is stripped.