Help with finding the right pet lizard...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I'm re-doing my bedroom over and when it's finished painting my parents said I can finally get a pet lizard. But I don't know which one to get. It seems like there are hundreds of species to choose from. Basically what I'm looking for in a pet lizard:

-Doesn't grow too large (24"-30" max)
    -Prefers tropical environment (If possible)
    -Likes to swim (If possible)
    -Either omnivorous or carnivorous
    -First choice: species of monitor
    -Second choice: species of iguana or an iguana-like lizard
    -Not too expensive to take care of (Basic requirements: shelter, heat lamp etc.)
    -Doesn't require an enormous tank to live in. However a tank thats three feet wide, 1 1/2 feet deep, and three feet high works perfectly.

If anyone here owns a lizard or has alot of experience with owning them your help would be greatly appreciated :D  I know quite a bit when it comes to reptiles, not an expert by any means but I know enough to handle the ones that are a bit more advanced than a beginner's level. I only had one lizard, a green anole, as a pet when I was eight and it died unfortunately. I'm not sure what the reason was, might have been impaction from accidentally eating some of the gravel in the tank (I noticed when he was dead he turned a grey-ish green color and his stomach-region looked red and swollen). Also I heard anoles are hard to take care of and are easily stressed out, so I'll pass on them.

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

For the last eight years I've owned Leopard Geckos and I love them! Speedy was my first and I kept him for about seven years before he passed. My newest are are Spike and Gizmo and they've been around for about a year now. They're really easy to take care of, don't require live food and are actually pretty affectionate. They aren't typically too expensive either.

3. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Leopard Geckos are pretty cool, but they're kind of not what I'm looking for. They're the last on my list of lizards I want as a pet along with Bearded Dragons. I don't mean that in a bad way though ;)  but there's quite a few other species I want more than them.
    If what I'm looking for is just too complicated and expensive to take care of then I'll settle for Leopard Geckos or Bearded Dragons. I like lizards that live in a more rain-forest habitat than an arid desert one.

I'm thinking of a tropical species, maybe a Chinese Water dragon if there are no species of monitor or iguana that are small enough that live in a tropical environment.

Red ackie monitors are another possible choice but I have no clue how I'm going to get a hold of one of those lol hard as shit to find where I live and online.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP!
    http://www.reptilesncritters.com/adult-frill-lizards.html

I never knew you could own one of these as a pet :lol  that's awesome. Oh man if only I could spare that much money at this time I'd buy one in a heart beat.

4. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I have to recommend a Bearded Dragon. They are very docile. When I had mine, I could put it on my shoulder and walk around with it for a while. The only time mine ever got "aggressive", which wasn't very intimidating was when I'd come into my room too fast while it was sleeping and I'd startle it, but even then all it did was puff itself up to appear bigger. If you want to get one that will be the least aggressive as possible then get a female.

They like being held and feeding them is pretty easy too, a few feeder crickets a day and a small salad of leafy greens about 2 times or less a week, plus a water dish filled when needed.

There's some other stuff I can tell you about them, but I don't want to post a brick wall. :lol  Just ask me if you're interested in more. I loved mine when I had it.