Help with finding Kabaya kits

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wasp819, Jun 1, 2010.

1. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    Ive seen a few pics on various sites of some of the kabaya kits that came out,
    E bay doesnt seem to be a good source for hunting these kits down,
    can any one help?
    Im after kits that i can fit into the wst line
    im after ultra magnus, galvatron, cyclonus, rodimus prime (apart from cyclonus their seems to be a few different kits avalible in diff sizes for the other 3)
    but from most of the pics ive seen none really give a good size reference,
    can anyone point me in the right direction please.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Your best bet would probably be Yahoo JP auctions. You might want to try Might Gaine on here, I believe ages and ages ago he had some high end KO Kabaya kits that were odd colours but were approaching the quality of the originals.

3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I've just sold some of the KO kits Sol mentions on eBay including a Galvatron, I've got a built Blitzwing up just now, and Frenzy and Rumble still to list.

As for the authentic G1 kits, they're like gold dust, even in Japan. Best bet is to try YahooJapan auctions, or see if someone like Hydra or Bodhar can find them for you, they won't be cheap though.

EDIT: Toy Hell still have some of Might Gaine's left over stock:

http://www.toyhell.com/bootlegtransformers.html

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    These things are so old and expensive its probably better to track down the KOs and paint them the right colours.

5. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Whoa. Toy Hell still exists? I haven't bought anything from them in years! That's good to know.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you want the Kabayas to fit in with your WSTs, those G1 Gum kits are too big.
    [​IMG]
    This is a KO of G1 Kabaya Gum Rodimus Convoy I got from ninety (sorry mate the cab is still in bits :( )

G1 Choco kits are probably more of the same size at around 5cm tall, but the original of those are very hard to find, and they are not transformable and unpainted. I haven't heard of them being KOed.

Good luck with your hunt though, sounds like a cool idea :) 

EDIT Choco kits are transformable sorry!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  7. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Cool to see a pic of him, I didn't keep one for myself, liking his odd Autobot sign!

Syd has a good point there, apart from Metroplex and Trypticon, the rest will be out of scale with WST's.

8. SydneyY

News Credits:
    And that Trypticon is rad :D 

9. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    I had alook at the jp yahoo and the japamart and to be honest this is way to advanced for me to get my head around (i just dont have the time or skills to search for these items on there)
    I think i left a message for might gaine about aweek ago!

yeah i saw your auctions (i was watching them) dont know why i didnt bid, im more interested in the KO versions mainly because of the price and the higher chances of tracking said item down (no point in chasing golddust)

yeah that was my way of thinking as well.

will probably get the galvatron kit from there

rodimus does look abit out of place but i was thinking of galvatrons original G1 height, it should make him fit in with the wst line,
    i have seen pics of 3 different galvatrons tho 1. kabaya kit from toyhell, 2. another version with red bits, dont know the size of this one, and 3. a simplified unpainted one, could one of these be the choco ive herd about?

apart from a couple of people mentioning the choco versions, ive never seen anything about them, or on ebay either,

thoese 2 would fit in perfectly, but alas neither do it for me,

does anyone know a good place or person i could try for the kabaya ko versions? (apart from the 3 people and jpmart place mentioned on this page)

10. SydneyY

News Credits:
    1. KO
    2. you mention red bits, so I assume that is the authentic Kabaya Galvatron (Gum) - G1 Kabaya - Transformers Resources
    3. Sounds like Choco kit. and Choco kits are transformable . I am sorry about the mistake!

11. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
  12. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hell I didn't know that was you! Ordered three kabaya kits from you yesterday, was just going to post this in here for the OP. Glad to send my money to a board member.

13. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    yeah thats the one ive seen before, so i asume that the galvatron with red bits would be the same size as the ko version doing the rounds,

14. shigeoj24

shigeoj24 Well-Known Member

I bought a bunch of the KO Kabaya kits off Might Gaine a long time ago. The quality of the kits are decent. There's a lot of excess plastic you have to cut off.

I've been searching for the Kabaya Seacons. I found one on ebay recently from the seller redstarvintage1, but decided against buying it. The seller wouldn't even answer some simple questions.

15. SydneyY

News Credits:
    ^There's a complete one listed at yahoo jp. Expensive stuff!

16. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

Don't know how I missed this thread.
    The ones you are looking for should all be from the mini series that came with chocolates. Ultra magnus, galvatron(the mini, not the one you are thinking of getting), cyclonus should all fit perfectly with the wst line, you might want to get hot rod instead of rodimus prime.
    If you are getting the KO versions, make sure you clean up & dispose of the spruces properly after building it especially if you have any children about. There's something about the feel/smell of those KO kits that screams bio hazard to me, could be the material itself or the residue of the release agent.

Actually the KO kabaya kits are no where near the quality of the originals, the ones that were closest or felt literally the same in terms of make & quality were the Toontown version.

17. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    :lol 

The KO Kabaya kits ranged from very good to very bad quality. I think the major issue was that some kits, like Liokaiser, Desuzarus, and Landcross, suffered from mold degradation. Other kits, however, like Rodimus and Galvatron don't have that problem. The type of plastic used varied a lot too, and could affect peoples' perceptions of the quality.

18. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    so where can i get my hands on the mini galvatron, cyclonus and ultra magnus?
    needle in a haystack springs to mind,
    i think the cyclonus one has me the most interested,

19. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

If its the KO version, MG's your best bet at the moment. These usually come blind packed. Not sure about a KO ultra magnus, have not come across any so far.

Seems like most western collectors likes to paint them, you can also use the unwanted spruces for testing out the type of paints before trying it on the figure itself.
    The earlier ones seem like they were recasted, & the plastic make besides that strange chemical residue, all warped badly rendering them with bad fits & gaps between the seams. There was one batch of KO G1 kits that came out later which fitted better but still had misalignment issues. Plastic quality wise is still pretty big if you have handled the originals before.

20. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Choco Ultra Magnus is just the cab, so it's basically just G1 Optimus Prime.

Of the kits I was selling, I never had any problems with chemical residue or warping (apart from mold degredation I keep mentioning).

The kits I used to sell were all from the original molds. You could tell because the various waves were all gang-molded molded the same as the originals, the characters in each wave were identical to the original waves, half the KOs still had "TAKARA" on the sprues (and the other half had it scratched out, suggesting a half-ass modification was made to the mold), and lastly, some kits suffered from signs of mold degredation (uneven surfaces, filled-in holes), typical of 20 year old molds.

When talking about plastic quality, one should keep in mind that the original Kabaya kits weren't of perfect plastic quality either. Half the completed G1 Kabaya kits you see for sale have broken parts.

I only ever came across one set of G1 Kabaya KOs that I thought could have been recast--they were three Choco ones done by a different company and I think I trashed them rather than selling them because they were so bad.