Customs: Help with Dying

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sidecutter, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ------UPDATE------

The parts that are refusing to take the dye on Alternator Smokescreen, are the ones that were done with die-cast in the Binaltech release of the toy, excepting perhaps the back fender/wheel well parts. There's something different about this plastic from the parts that were cast in plastic on both versions. I still need some tips on how to get this stubborn plastic to take the dye as well as the rest. Anyone?

------------------

So, I've been trying this technique on an Alternators Smokescreen. It seems to e working fairly well on some parts. However, other parts seem to be made of much more dense plastic for others.

For instance, the wheels schlurp the dye up in very short order, under a minute and they're pitch black. The upper arms take a little longer - maybe 2-3 minutes, and a bit longer with short dip-length spaced by withdrawls and dips into coll water in-between to keep from overheating. But they take it thoroughly in the end.

Other parts are giving me a hard time though. The hood and roof, for instance, don;t want to actually turn black. Instead, they seem to take the dye, but become a very, very dark blue. It's impure when seen under good light, and more dying time doesn't seem to help.

As per Ops's thread, there is a small measure of acetone in the dye pot, and a good dose of dye. Anyone know what I should do to make these more stubborn parts take the color?

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Well, there a number of ways to go about dying, sometimes people use a gun, others use a good rope and ... oh wait, totally didn't read the post, just the title. My bad :( 

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was gonna suggest Dr. Kavorkian.
    :lol 

4. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX My turn to protect you.

Down the road, not across.

5. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

mabey you should use paint........ NOT TO SNIFF! i meant painting the figure, if you have the hand eye co-ordination and time

6. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This being far from my first custom, I certainly have the ability to use paint, and paint will come into the project later when the remaining colors and detailing are necessary. However, I would much prefer to use the dye technique. This project is something of a testbed for me for some new methods (such as using alcohol to remove factory paint and dye to color the main plastic color). I also want to make the dye work due to the inherant advantage that unlike paint, the dye can't be scraped or damaged during transformation.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    remember your loved ones dood...oh, crap. damn misleading titles!