Customs: Help with custom Menasor

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by 03svt, Dec 20, 2011.

1. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

Ive done a few minor repaints, and now I'm on to the reason I started customizing, a custom Menasor. I have a junk Unicron and Primus. I am going the route that Rumble Frenzy went. I am using a classics Wheeljack and Red Alert for Wildrider and Breakdown. I would like some suggestions on how to attach them to Unicron's legs. I don't want you guys to think that I haven't done my homework. There really isn't a tutorial on how to do this for this application. I've spent hours looking at pictures and my figures in pieces. I have a few ideas, but I would prefer to not reinvent the wheel. I've looked at different lego sets, kreo sets, and other transformers. Also, any insight on how to attach Prime/Motormaster to the torso would be greatly appreciated.

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok well I am currently building a menasor too.

To me it's more difficult that a devastator which I have already done.

Anyways the leg connectors on such customs work by using two sideswipe/sunstreakers for the legs. The same mold at least. If you study the pictures some more look at how the legs are transformed. The cars are almost folded in half and if you do this to red alert you will see peg holes and then on unicrons knees see pegs inserted into them. But you will need to strengthen them still and some more connection ideas for the back.

As for the torso it's quite a bit more complex but mine is done with magnets and pegs

3. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

The peg holes on Red Alert, are they ones that are added? I've looked at a lot of pictures and this still eludes me.

4. nellie131

News Credits:
    No they aren't added they are in there already. I don't have generations red alert so they may have been removed for it? But it's where the missile pegs on the robots shoulders

5. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight. Could you post some pix of the torso?

6. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

I decided to leave the sides on the Unicron torso. I am moving the arms up though.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

To connect the Prime/Motormaster to the torso I used some magnets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

I've ran into some trouble with the legs and need some suggestions. I want to use this Wildrider
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

but I am concerned with the size proportions compare to redalert

[​IMG]

My idea is to put holes in the 2 legs and attach it in the same fashion as Redalert
    [​IMG]

Will it look right though if I attach it lower than the Redalert?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the input

9. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

Anyone?

10. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

It does look a little off, one method I might suggest is that put some fake car kibble on that leg connector that sorta blends in with Wildrider and maybe it'll look better...

11. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea.

12. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

if you still have the unicron lower legs, maybe using the upper part (gives knee rotation as well), it would fill out the uneven part, and give you a solid area to add some car fodder to help blend.

13. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

I planned on using the lower legs to mount to. Thanks for your input. Your opinion is one I was specifically hoping for. Your Menasor is amazing!! I figured that you and FR had reasons for using the same mold on both legs. I wanted to be a little different, hence the different torso and Wheeljack. What do you think about the way I connected Prime? I came up with a pretty easy way to align the pegs. I thought the pegs were creative, considering the lack of tutorials or info on pieces like yours.

The feet on yours, they look like pieces from Unicron's legs, how do they connect to the legs? There is a nice hole on the back of the Wheeljack mold that I can use for one foot. The other foot I was going to attempt to make it connect the same way that the gun stores. Maybe just use the gun as the connector.

14. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

I was also considering trying to get RID Prime feet and turning them into feet and attempting to use them to make a trailer for Motormaster

15. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

Couldnt get find any RID Prime feet. So I picked up some G1 Omega Supreme feet. I gutted the foot, added some styrene strips to keep the car from moving around and put a metal ring in the bottom. I cut the tail pipes off of the exhaust and attached a magnet to help with holding it to the foot. I was impressed at well all of this works together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. nellie131

News Credits:
    Looking along the same lines as mine now. I will warn you that te weight of the upper parts of the combined mode may have an affect on the magnet joint.

Plus the inside of the foot does look really solid so good work on that

17. 03svt

03svt Well-Known Member

thanks. The white tabs on the back of the foot really do most of the lateral supporting. The foot would probably stay on without the magnet if it wasnt picked up. The other foot is almost complete. I didnt work on it tonight....damn Arkham City.