Customs: Help with attaching ball joints.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by reptileman, Apr 26, 2010.

1. reptileman

reptileman Well-Known Member

So i'm making my first custom transformer.It is going really well.Im making rotf cyclonus out of rotf deluxe soundwave.The only problem is that i cut of the soundwave arms to put on some armorhide/llandmine arms.I learned that the ball joint from rotf robot replicas sideswipe is a good fit after some shaving down. I tried to glue the ball joint to the upper arm with eco power glue.Im guessing that sounds pretty stupid but hey its my first time so yeah. It did not work. So im wondering if there is anyone who can tell me what kind of glue i need or if it even possible for me to place the lower arm to the upper arm using a robot replicas ball joint. Also is it ok to use plastic cement or gorilla glue cauuse that is all i have for now.Thank you.

Reptileman

2. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Loctite Super Glue Gel. With such an important and often used joint though it still may not hold it well enough. As was told to me a few weeks back "it's better to modify the part you're trying to attach to fit the joint, than to modify the joint itself."

Loctite Consumer Retail Products | Product Detail
    -G

3. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i use zapagap personally, worked when my tfcc breakaways foot broke away

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    glue won't hold a ball joint in place. it needs to be reinforced with threaded steel or wire.

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I have to agree with F_R here. What I do is cut the head off of an extra screw from a TF I took apart so you have a threaded piece that can be threaded from both sides. Take the 2 pieces you want a drill a hole about the size of the screw on each piece. Take the screw bar and screw it in one side then take that whole piece and screw it to the other side. You can dab a bit of glue if you'd like but it's not really necessary. Check this thread, it's where I learned about the technique

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/264569-articulating-g1-bombshell.html

It's the 7th picture from the top

You get pretty a pretty darn strong connection from this method

6. reptileman

reptileman Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your advice.It is very usefull. Thanks.

Reptileman

EDIT: I forgot to mention im going to use animated activators grimlock ball joint now.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What about a 2-part epoxy? Epoxy is generally much stronger than most CA-type glues.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    nope. and I've tried the best stuff around. I guess it might depend on the stress to the ball joint's peg (and where it's attached) but, in 99% of my experiences, the peg will break right off.

sometimes it's easier to drill through a small piece of styrene, into the back of the peg of the ball joint, then use small screws (from the other side of the styrene) fixing it to the area you want the joint to come from.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: