Help with a MB I admin.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodimus Prime, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I'm the head admin for a MB for an online RP group I help run. It's for posting news, selling items, and looking for quests, etc. Anyhow, I have some jackass trolling the board and I need help with it. I need to know how to ban his IP, but his IP alone. I tried checking his IP but it came up with several users, including several regulars who I know (and they don't even live in the same state). So could someone help me out here? Its a phpbb board. I admit I'm over my head here.

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

There only way multiple people could have posted from the same IP at different times would be AOL users. If they are AOL users, you are shit out of luck in my experience. Their IP changed every time they log on.

Best bet is to keep banning his nicknames, or see if phpbb has a hack that allows him to post, but nobody can see it.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Tough break, if his IP matches others. I haven't really gotten my hands on phpbb, so I don't know what you can and can't do with it, but I'd see if there's a way to disable the account - perhaps create a new usergroup that can't post or reply and move that to it. At the same time, turn on user registration/authentication (so that all users have to be admin approved prior to posting) and, if phpbb allows, block free emails (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.) which would make it harder for him to sign up, and easier for you to catch him before he starts.

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

The above two posters know whats up since they were previous super mods. Good luck.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Require e-mail verification for all new accounts.
    Require staff approval for all new accounts.
    This will create more of a hassle for the troll, and he'll probably leave.

as a last ditch effort, did you know that it's now illegal to harass people online? inform your troll of that. seriously, its a federal crime now.

6. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Do what they said. Mostly the verification stuffs.