Help! Why is the Browning I just got backwards? (+ has he been restored/mixed prts)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

So I just the pre-transformers Japanese red version of Browning in the mail today. All looks well, he looks in very good condition, and then I go to transform him and he is BACKWARDS! I pulled up a scan of his instructions and noticed that to get his face facing forwards I had to swivel the top part of the gun in the opposite direction than the directions showed.

Check out the pics, this is the result, he is friekin' backwards, his arms are on the opposite sides of where they should be and resultantly his fists fit in backwards/bottomside up.

Unless I'm gapping on something (please let me be) this is a piss off. The seller had sold a few Brownings over the past months and buys early transforming guns too.

I'm starting to worry that this guy was thrown together with junkers. Even worse that the upper body could be from the King Dam KO? Check out the last picture, am I being paranoid or does that look like recently done saudering work?

His surfaces look in nice condition, his chrome on the guns is nice (which wasn't the case in his other auctions, yellow showing on the guns, scratched gun surface but notably he pictured the other ones in bot mode in the auction but not this one).

Any knowledge and insight greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just to clarify for those less familiar with Browning, the arm with the vents should be on his left side (pictured on right) and vice versa for his other arm. Also, the left and right fists are different because the non-vented arm shoots the fists with tabs and the right arm just takes the stump fist so I can't just switch fists. Here is a picture on this page of the right-way-round Browning:
    http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=1537&page=173 (scroll down)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I always thought Browning has the upper body transformation similar to En. Shockblast in that you can mix the arms.

3. Paradigm-Shift Prime

What do you mean? As in just unscrew each arm and put it on the other side?

Which I guess brings me to clarify my two concerns:

1) Can/How do I fix him? (switching arms does sort of look possible)

and

2) Has this seller done something sketchy with this fig that I should be aware of and bring up/complain to him before I leave feedback?

Here's the auction, showing (which I didn't in my pics) that it is purported to be 100% Takara version and does have the Takara-marked handle:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220178815364&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012
    (his past activity shows his heavy involvement in early transforming guns esp. Browning)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  4. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
  5. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
    Correction, I see what you mean now, I was lookin at it wrong.

6. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Could have been misassembled. If you got him from Yahoo Japan, do you still have a link to the auction?

7. Paradigm-Shift Prime

the auction link is in my second post, here it is again:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN:IT&ih=012

Sort of as I say above, as this guy has sold 3 other Brownings in the last 2 months, 2 real and one bootleg (but in a real box with chromed weapons), I worry that he has restored mine from others (and I worry, perhaps unfoundedly, that the upper part of the figure might be from the King Dam bootleg, as well as whether I can/how I can fix him, see my '2 worries' thing in my second post).

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It's possible he's been restored; however the Kingdam Browning has the arms on the right sides, so it's not an indicator of much. It should be fairly easy to switch them; just be very careful with the screwdriver when you undo the shoulder screws. Either way I'd contact the seller and ask him WHAT THE HELL first man.

9. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah I checked the King Dam to make sure it's arms are the same way as the real Brownings, so I'm not totally founded in that fear, but something has gone on with this figure. I included the pic of the back bolt things because they look like they might have saudering marks on them.

Yeah I don't know how I'm going to reach in there with a screwdriver, I'd also have to be careful of the little springs that make his arms click up and down, not to lose them, to get them back in right, etc.

I am going to message him but I'm not sure what to say. He also somehow shipped with tracking (usually Priority and not First Class) but somehow for $6.50 when I got charged $16 (which seemed right for USPS Priority, what I agreed to in paying for the auction). That's why I'm posting on the wonderful TFW2005 to try to have as good an understanding of these issues as possible before messaging him (as well as to try to figure out how to fix him).

Thanks for any help/responses guys.

10. Paradigm-Shift Prime

FIXED!

Luckily the arm hinge pins popped right out, giving me access to the screws holding each arm in. So I pulled the old switcheroo (anyone seen the new Futurama movie?) and now is how he should be (and everything lines up right):

[​IMG]