help to identify dvd

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by psycogasim, Jun 26, 2012.

1. psycogasim

psycogasim space ranger

can somebody please help identify these dvd box sets

[​IMG]

thank you..

2. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

boot leg trasformers the movie.. oh box sets uhh maybe bootleg g1

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They're both art that was used as covers for releases of the 1986 movie, I suspect both are bootlegs, or at the very least, chinese versions of the film.

I can't read chinese, but it looks like the first one has the same title as the second, but with an addendum. So maybe the one on the left is "The Transformers: The Movie" and the one on the right is just "The Transformers"? Could mean the one on the right is season 3? Or maybe the entire series?

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The one with the back of Optimus copies part of the movie artwork (Optimus), but the Megatron pictured there is copied from Dreamwave artwork. Looks like a mish-mash of various copied artwork sources. I don't think any of it is the actual original artwork just cut and pasted.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Perversely enough, what you've got there are Chinese bootleg sets of Masterforce and Victory - note the roman numerals above the title identifying them as sets "II" and "III" of the Japanese shows. I have the Masterforce one myself, on the right.

6. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    No, they're all modified somehow, but the general picture remains effectively similar, I guess? I'm pretty sure Optimus wasn't in the pic used on the right, for example. And the "flying" Galvatron in that one looks... suspect.

Wat. That is... counterintuitive.

7. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Looks like copies of Transformers the movie to me

8. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Bootlegs of the original movie... All the same...

9. psycogasim

psycogasim space ranger

think your right they are victory and masterforce. both sets seem to have both version of dubs. :)  thank you.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Compare for yourself:

Here's the real Unicron image:
    [​IMG]

And for fun the original original artwork:

http://www.toyarchive.com/Transformers/Artwork/UnicronMarvelStickerArt1.html

The Blurr (and I think the Scourge) comes from the other movie artwork where they're all shooting upwards:
    [​IMG]

And here's the two main images ripped off to make that other cover (bizarrely the Megatron arm holding the sword is copied from the real movie poster, but stuck on the body from the Dreamwave artwork to replace the arm holding the fusion cannon):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Ah, so he was, just not where he is in that image. I wonder why they change it like that. IP issues? Maybe they don't have the image in the right resolution for packaging, and cobble together images they do have (or redraw) to make a usable image?

12. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I guess mixing and matching and tracing various artwork is their way of trying to make it different while still being the same. Presumably for a legal reason. Not that they probably really care that much.
    But you were right: the Optimus is a different piece of artwork in the cover on the right. I do recognise the Optimus pose on the bootleg cover, but I can't quite place from where. And he's got a red head. :p 
    Given decent scans I could probably track down where all the artwork was nicked from. I see what looks like G1 Ravage's character box art on the left-hand cover.

13. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe the audios are the Omni Production English dub and a Mandarin Chinese dub, with Chinese subs - no original Japanese audio or English subs. If I remember right, I don't want to go upstairs and dig it out!