Help to fix my Primus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Aug 26, 2006.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I have a problem with my GF Primus : the dual canons on each arm won't stay retracted, only the "towers" they're on will. How do I fix that?

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Have you tried pushing the guns in, then while holding them in lowering the towers?

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have the same problem with mine.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've got the same problem with the right cannon on mine. I've looked into disassembling it but it looks like the whole arm would need to come apart.
    I've taken to using some of those clear rubber bands to hold it in.

5. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I took the whole arm apart on mine, with a little fiddling and shaving off some excess plastics you can get the whole thing to lock together just fine.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Odd, mine's perfectly fine.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    whoa, I haven't opened mine yet...I hope mine's not faulty...if it is, its going to suck.

8. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I had the problem with my US Primus, then returned it for one that locked in. Got kind of annoying

9. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Haven't opened mine; maybe I never will! I didn't really plan to pick one up, but I saw him with the Uni head at Johnny's Toys here in Cincy and decided to pick him up. Johnny's is a small local toy store "chain" (they only have two locations left) and I really wanted to give them some business to help them stay open. I don't know, maybe I will open him, if I can get a 2nd one on clearance in the future.

10. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

It's a fault with all Primuses (Primii?). Even if it doesn't affect yours yet, it will do because of the design.

Luckily, I've done a fix and I photographed how I did it. I'll post it once I'm done writing it.

Phazer

11. The Phazer

As promised.

The Intro

Many people have reported that the black section on their Primus arm cannons will not stay retracted, including me, and I suspect it’ll come to be a more common problem with wear and tear, as I’ll explain below. So here’s a fairly simple guide to fixing the issue.

You’ll need –

A Philips screwdriver
    A pin vice with a damned thin drill bit, certainly less than half a mm in diameter.
    A small amount of wire, ideally the same diameter as your drill bit. I used guitar wire, but anything sufficiently sturdy should do.
    Wire cutters for the above
    A bit of superglue might be necessary

…and somewhere fairly clean to work so you can find the bits you inevitably drop. Apologies for some of the poor quality photos below – my SLR is out of commission at the moment, and I had to use my girlfriend’s compact.

The Problem.

If we take a look at the picture below we can see on diagram 1 how the mechanism works. The angled peg (in red here) works as a catch on the inside of the black cannon piece, catching on a little wedge cut into it. This has enough flexibility to allow it to be pushed back in while the blue section has been pushed back down too. But the unfortunate side effect of this is what we see in diagram 2 – that eventually (or very quickly) the plastic wears down, and there’s nothing to hold the black assembly in, and it’ll keep deploying all the time. Very annoying.

[​IMG]

It’s nigh impossible to access the black gun assembly, because it’s inside the blue/silver cover that’s glued shut. But we can access the peg with some unscrewing, and attempt to lengthen that.

Now, some people might suggest that this could get a couple of coats of clearcoat to try and lengthen it. I tried it, it wasn’t enough. It’s a lot easier to do though, and your mileage may vary, so it’s probably worth a go and see if it fixes your problem.

However, if it doesn’t, then we’ll have to take more radical steps to lengthen the peg. The simplest way to do this is shown in figure 3 – use a piece of wire sticking out of the top.

The Process

The only section you need to disassemble for this is the lower arm itself, which is held together by six screws. Although there are two different types of screws, it’s pretty hard to get them mixed up so don’t worry about that unduly. Once they’re all removed the arm should come off and split in half fairly easily. Note there’s a small grey rectangular piece of loose plastic – this is for the elbow ratchet, so don’t lose it. Primus’ fist can be put to one side for now, and we’ll be left with the below.

[​IMG]
    Using this picture you should be able to put everything back together, so remove all the components, leaving you with just the half of the arm’s shell that has the grey peg on it. Now, get your pin vice and drill a hole from the top straight down the interior of the peg. I’d say about half the length of the peg should be sufficient.

Afterwards, clean the area up and get your length of wire, and insert it down the hole. Mine was tight enough that no superglue was required, but if it’s a bit loose put a tiny bit of superglue down the hole first and once the wire is inserted leave it to dry.

Now get the clippers, and cut the wire slightly above the top edge of the peg, thus extending it by a millimetre or two. After cutting you may find it a good idea to file the edge down a bit if it’s sharp.

[​IMG]

Now, once this is done I’d suggest holding together the arm and checking that your new mechanism works. If it does, you can reinsert the hand, attach the arm back to your Primus, and screw it all back together.

[​IMG]

The Aftermath.

This process isn’t quite perfect. As we’ve lengthened the peg, you’ll no longer be able to push the black barrels in while the blue block is unextended – to retract the cannons you’ll have to push them in, then push the blue block in. However, this is pretty much the way it should logically work anyway, and the whole thing is a million times more stable. That was a pretty good trade off for being able to have a planet mode without the cannons stuck out all the time again. You don’t really lose anything from the toy – you’ve just got to make sure you retract them again in the right order from now on.

Hope that helps.

Phazer

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I think you bought the Primus I returned :lol 

EDIT: wow a few people had the same problem weird

13. The Phazer

Like I said, even if it doesn't happen now, it'll happen to everyone's Primus eventually. It's a flawed design.

Phazer

14. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Fortunately, it's only one gun at the present, but I fear they'll both do it in time. Ah well, I'd still rather have him flawed, than not at all.

He friggin' rocks.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yup, the one on the left arm of my GF Primus is acting up...:( 

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The guns on mine pop out easily but will usually stay for awhile after I push them back in. I wonder how long it will be before they won't stay retracted at all I have to perform Phazer's surgery....

17. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

ummm all you have to do is open the forarm, and there is a little bit of shaving required, i had to do it to mines right arm, and the bracket inside his forearm that clicks for the rotation was knocked out when i got him...... ill take pics and show you what needs to be done when i get my camera

ummm woops i just read his surgery technique after posting, and his may work ads well, but ill still post what i did

18. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

My Primus doesn't seem to have this problem. However, I prefer the cannons to be extended (just not the towers they rest on) so if and when it happens, I won't complain. It'll just save me the trouble of having to go fish out a Cyber Key every time I wanna transform him.