Customs: HELP! Swapping parts on a Decepticon Plane (Starscream, Ramjet, Dirge, etc.)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Cybertronian, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Howdy, y'all.
    I just recently scored about 6 or 7 Decepticon Plane body shells (and various small main body parts) for cheap in an eBay auction, and it's finally arrived. In addition to supplying some needed parts to Starscream, Thundercracker, Dirge, and Skywarp, (not to mention having one of 4 Type 1 yellow cockpits to offer my existing Starscream), I've also decided to work on a custom I've wanted since Generation 2.

I originally conceived 2 customs based on the Generation 2 planes (using existing parts with little to no painting) and have the surplus junk needed to partially created one of them.
    Custom 1 is a (female) all-black version of Ramjet. The primary fuselage color, feet, exhaust, shin jets, arm interior, and chest should all be black (which seemed easy, when all but the 2 Starscreams can contribute something). The one remaining problem (I solved the exhaust cap problem) is the one I'm writing about.
    Custom 2 is a recolor of Dirge, based on the G2 Ramjet body. All (easy to yellow) sky blue parts would be swapped with black parts (again, easy -- just find a spare G1 Ramjet, Thrust, or Dirge). Arm him with either G1 Ramjet, Thrust, Dirge's or Classic/Henkei weapons or let him keep the G2 launchers. The one snafu is (other than not having a G2 Ramjet to cannibalize) I'd want to have Dirge wings molded to match the G2 Ramjet body.

What I'm asking for is this: How do you safely remove the rod holding the cockpit/fuselage to the die-cast chest/intake in such a way that it can be re-installed? I want a black Skywarp fuselage connected to a black Dirge/Ramjet chest.

-- Cybertronian.
    P.S.: To remove the exhaust caps, hold them between 2 fingers and attempt to shake or rotate them (which will loosen them up). Then take a flathead screwdriver blade (mine was about 1/8") and gently pry at any space large enough for the tip of the blade to penetrate, then pry again at one of the sides (in front of where the leg clip holes are). At this point, the cap should come off with a minimal effort. The caps will slide back on with minimal force.
    P.P.S.: Follow-up Question: I've seen a few auctions with Ramjet wings seperated from their engines. How do you remove the engines from Ramjet wings in such a way that they can be re-attached (or glued)? This process will give me the all-black wings I desire.

2. Cybertronian

Bump.

I'd really like to have my questions answered, if possible.

3. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far i know, the only way to remove the metal rod from the fuselage, is to hammer it out . From what i can remember, at least on the mexican editions (wich shouldnt have any difference at all), the rod had a flat head, so you need to hammer the other way

If you are concerned for the diecast paint, you should protect with some cloth or something to prevent scratches with the wood while trying to remove the rod :) 

4. Cybertronian

I figured it out. Thank you very much. I now have an all-black Decepticon plane body (made of stock parts) with G2 Ramjet wings. Once I get some G1 Ramjet wings and figure out how to pop and swap the engines, my all-black Decepticon plane Darkstar will be complete. (Her armament, Dirge guns, is on order.)
    Now my only problem is to resist the urge to be a super-perfectionist and swap chestplates with the current custom a near minty G2 Ramjet body (no paint wear on its chest) I'm using for an accompanying 'Con custom.

The second Deceptiplane, Apparition, is an attempt to make use of G2 Ramjet's purple color scheme on an original character. The now-complete first phase was to swap out all of the teal/blue parts from G2 Ramjet with black ones, making him match G1 Ramjet, Thrust, and Dirge. The second phase is to paint the Dirge wings he'll be wearing in a matching purple (Help!). His armament is undecided. I've narrowed it down to using G2 RJ's launchers and missiles, Thrust or Skywarp's G1 launcher system, or trying to find a pair of Classic Skywarp's launchers, which look close enough to the paint scheme to not require painting.

5. Cybertronian

A minor update.
    Darkstar (the all-factory black Decepticon plane) has everything she needs... almost. Waiting on a 2nd set of Ramjet wings, and need another left tail rudder. Left rudder on the 1st Ramjet I eBayed was bent, making it very difficult to use in the wing engine. The right one was ok though.

If someone thinks they can paint-match Dirge's wings to G2 Ramjet's purple body, I may have a commission for you.
    -- Cybertronian.