HELP! Someone with car electrical knowledge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SmokescreenWRX, Aug 4, 2007.

1. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

My car died tonight. Dead. No warning.
    Won't turn over, but there is voltage at the battery, cabin lights, and a few dash lights (hazard/blinkers, door open) and door bell.
    No other dash lights, no radio, windows won't work, neither will the mirrors.

I was driving back from Costco to run an errand, and damn, it just DIES.
    No hissing, no leaking fluids, yes it's got plenty of gas, no whirring, just dead.

It's an '02 WRX.
    I could really use some good words of suggestion.

--I had it towed to my mechanic's place... he'll see it first thing in the morning.

2. trump

trump WWBD?

I think you blew a fuse. We had that same thing with one of our cars [1982 Ford F 150], and that's what it wound up being.

I could be completely wrong, but that's my thoughts on the matter.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Could be dirty battery ports, could be an alternator.

4. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I'm guessing that you didn't try a jump, so it's fruitless to go into that now. If it took a jump or not, I could have helped out a bit more.

You may want to have the BCM and GEMs looked at (Body Control Module and Generic Electric Module). Since the mechanic has it, this is what he'll do.

5. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    could be a fuse, could be something that's failed that's munged a program in your engine's control computer. Cars today, especially high-zoot rides like your WRX, are really run more by computer than by just bare-wire electricals or mechanicals, and the only way to really lock it down is to collect behaviour reports over a long period of time, or to hook it up to a diagnostic machine. Since this is an engine-killer, the first option is out, which means the diagnostic. So, your wrench'll be able to give you a much better idea than what we can provide from a quick description. I know the wait is tough, but you'll know for sure tomorrow.

Let us know what it is, btw. Never hurts to know the symptoms of a particular problem.

6. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

does the starter click at all? that would be where i would start, ignition and such. Ive never had a soob and i know nothing about boxer engines so im just making general assumptions.

But if you have power its not a battery problem, and i dont think it would be an alternator. Course it could just be a glitch in the ignition program like stated earlier.

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

:lol  High Zoot rides?

8. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    How much voltage was in the battery? Sounds like the alternator went out to me. I have personally never heard of a car dying from a blown fuse. I have heard of them not starting from a blown fuse but not dying after running. I had a WRX at one time and never had any blown fuses. You have not messed with any of the wiring for engine mods or stereo equipment have you? Let us know what the mechanic says. I am curious.

9. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    What's the matter, daddy-o? You not hip to my lingo? The man's horseless is cherry!

10. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

now youre on the trolley!

thats just gangbusters!

11. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Check your voltage on the battery terminals. you should see 12-13v across the terminals when engine is off.

If you can start your vehicle, you should see above 12v. If you are in the 11v range or less....expect an alternator.

Usually most cars have a "megafuse" from the alternator to the batt. If that has fried, corroded, or whatnot, the batt. is not getting the correct juice to charge from the alternator.

But from what you post, I'm leaning towards alternator.
    But im sure you have a batt light on that dash, and if that wasnt blinking, its probly not the alt tho.....