Customs: Help! Smooth finish brushing w/ acrylics?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by mampy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    I am currently painting a TFTM Jazz. Primed with grey automotive primer and then base coated everything with black automotive paint.

I've discovered that Tamiya Acrylic Gunmetal + Metallic Silver is pretty spot on to the gray/silver color of Jazz's Solstice mode. Unfortunately, I can't get the mixture to go on smoothly on the figure.

Brushing the mixture on Jazz's car shell produces an ugly finish with very visible brush strokes. There are also areas where the "silver pigment" of the gunmetal seems to separate from the mixture and just float on top of the finish. The paint also does not seem to level and dry evenly. There are some visible "spots" where drops of paint dried up.

How do I solve this? I do thin my paints with water, and I've never had this problem with my other repaints. Is it because I mixed two metallic paints? Or because the metallic gray that I used is a "flat" paint? If so, what paint can I use instead, that will also match the Pontiac gray/silver?

Oh yeah, I don't have an airbrush, unfortunately, and I have never tried enamels.

2. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    automotive paint is oil based, acrylic is water based. It's like putting oil in water, or in this case, vice versa. Water and Oil don't mix.

the other issue could be, is the black a flat or a gloss?

3. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    the automotive paint I use is supposedly an "acrylic epoxy", whatever that means. I use a gloss black basecoat. I have painted over this same combination before with Tamiya Acrylics (gloss red, gold, copper), and it does not seem to have this problem. Or maybe that's because I've painted over small areas only last time.

4. Goro

Goro Active Member

dak is correct..... to fix this problem, you may want to get a tamiya or games workshop primer... automotive primer works really really poorly as a base for acrylic paints... also you may want to try the following -

1. use a thicker layer of paint
    2. paint more layers on.....
    3. use proper hobby paint such as tamiya or citadel