HELP. Shockwave lower arm repairable?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TILALLR1, Sep 23, 2008.

1. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Had a very weird thing happy to my Minty G1 Shockwave, as I was transforming him into gun mode the lower part (elbow area) of his canon arm popped off a joint. Now dangling by his hose. But will not click back in, its as though it is broken. Here is someone elses picture of where the detachment occured.

[​IMG]

Has this ever happened to anyone else. My question is how do you get it to go back on. There has to be a way since the joint rotates 360 degrees ... right?

2. Bjjer

Bjjer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats why I dont transform my Shockwave anymore. Mine is pretty mint also but he stays in robot mode. Good luck.

3. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

I know. :banghead: 

4. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    The moment I read the thread title, I was like "ZOMFG!! ANIMATED SHOCKWAVE!!", but I was wrong. :/

5. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Do you have a bigger picture?

BTW, this is why my Shockwave is in a ziplock bag... damn hose is getting jacked too.

6. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The hose on my Shocky is already cracking :banghead:  Anyone tried to repair a Shockwave with parts from the KO floating around?

7. Joe1

Joe1 Well-Known Member

yeah, that really stinks. i have heard of that happening, but dont knw how 2 help u. sorry

8. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Rub white vinegar on your rubber hoses. Works with wiper blades too. Helps keep the rubber nice. Don't ask me why.

Been doing this a long time ;) 

9. DethPike

Ebay:
    I've fixed this before, but it's tricky - if it's what I think it is. The "elbow" has snapped, yes?

Ok - get yourself a little screwdriver and take both pieces of the arm apart - careful of the springs and be mindful of where everything goes. The part you're trying to fix looks like THIS roughly -

( O )
    __||__
    -------

Right? And that post between the round part and the disc has snapped? You're probably holding onto a thick roundish piece with a hole in it and a little gray disc right now.

Ok - get both halves of that gray part that's now in two pieces and get your self some "Zap A Gap" Glue - from your local hobby shop. If they have lead miniatures they have Zap A Gap - this stuff bonds fast so don't get it on your hands or you will not be happy. And it FILLS GAPS - it's a toy repair guy's BEST FRIEND.

Glue the disc part back to the round part where it broke, try to line it up perfect so that there's no seem, etc. Let it dry overnight to be safe but you might be good after a couple hours.

Put it all back together, mind the springs, screw it all back in... move it GENTLY to see if it holds. You oughta be ok, that glue is fantastic. But BE CAREFUL when you mess with Shockwave in the future and keep in mind that that arm has been repaired.

Good luck!

10. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing this tonight as I noticed my minty shockwave started to show a TINY bit of cracking. Just want to prevent it from happening further.

I'm assuming you can also use the vinegar on G1 rubber wheels?

11. DethPike

Ebay:
    I've never had a wheel rot but I don't see why not ;) 

12. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thx :dj  I was thinking of using a silicone based product (like armor all) but feared that it would probably make the rubber desintegrate over time.

13. Bjjer

Bjjer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use Meguires rubber and plastic protectant for automobiles on my Shockwaves hose. Hasnt cracked yet, plus it has no silicone.

14. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Black spray bottle right?

15. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Silicone spray should be fine with rubber. Always used to use it on airsoft guns, as anything oil-based would have eaten into the rubber components.

16. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was minty?(Because the gun tip seems missing) Just wana make sure you didn't get ripped off.
    Most of the shockwave I saw having problems due to the chest split(which leads to head lost, arms missing, and all kinds of other issues), the elbow issue is kind of rare.
    I do agree that you have to be extra careful when opening a shockwave though, all those springs can make you crazy.

17. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    my thoughts exactly