Help: ROTF Rampage Paint Problem

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by metallichemist, Aug 29, 2009.

1. metallichemist

metallichemist Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I am working on the Rampage and i'm having some problems with getting paint to bond with certain pieces of the toy. Its those pieces that look particularly opaque or darker in color, otherwise there is no such problem. I applied tamiya primer then painted over the primed surface with lacquer based paint and finished with gloss coat. The paint layers are not in anyway tacky, but the paint are still easy to scrape off.

Does anyone here have any good advice to solve this problem? Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. JakmanFirby

JakmanFirby The Jakman

News Credits:
    sry but duznt this belong in the Radicons Discussion?

3. neurosync

neurosync Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Regardless fo this being in the wrong place,.. I'll still try and give you an answer rather than just tell you that you posted in the wrong place *tut tut* to anyone that does that!* Other than that, there is a tutorials section on these forums which can help,...

Have you been sanding any areas to give em a bit more bite for when you apply your primer?

4. metallichemist

Yup. I did sand the area with 240 sandpaper. I did think that more rigorous sanding could be an option, but i'd like to hear what other options are available. Thanks for the advice Neurosync :) 

5. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

quick question, Hand or Airbrushed?

6. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    THE TRUTH ABOUT PAINT!!!!!! it does scrap off.:) 

Seriously, what did you use to clean it with? You may not have gotten all the oils out of the plastic.

What happened is that primer didn't bond, meaning:the primer is week or the surface was dirty.

Next time though, I would suggest an enamel or Lacquer primer. ESPECIALLY when your top coating with it.

Just a side not.... I really like you colors on rampage.

I wou

7. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

As encline sort of mentioned, the laqcuer paint might be eating up the primer. I'm assuming the primer was an acrylic? If so, that's a no. Just play it safe, laqcuer on lacquer, acrylic on acrylic and enamel on enamel. (Although it's just the lacquer's that give issues)

8. RoAM

RoAM Well-Known Member

There are oil and grease removers you can get to clean the painted areas before painting. You may have more success with that, use it after sanding and before primer coat.

9. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

It's a different type of plastic. I had this problem with Breakaway. His light blue plastic did not like the paint I put on it. Like the others said, whatever type of primers you use, use those types of paints.

10. Napjr

Napjr Mr. Internet Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
  11. metallichemist

Eh, primer spray can. Subsequent coats airbrushed then some drybrushing here and there. Airbrush sealed. Any issues with the workflow?

12. metallichemist

If i am not wrong Mr Hobby surfacer 1000 is a lacquer primer. The rest of the paint are all lacquer too. I'll try sanding, cleaning the parts again before application for like the third time. Thanks for pointing these stuff guys, much appreciated.

Thank you for the comment on color encline. I liked it too. I was testing the paint methods on Rampage for the upcoming constructicons line. It was all done until this issue surfaced. :( 

13. metallichemist

UNPAINTABLE PLASTIC! Thats something i hadn't come across. Too bad if its that case. Aww...