Help Please! Need a Job!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr Grimm, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suppose this is mainly for any UK members out there really, but anyone that may be able to give me some guidance would be most welcome.

I lost my job several months ago due to redundancy, and have found myself struggling to find something else. I used to work in IT and live in the Midlands (UK). This is the first time I've had to look for something for many years and am finding it hard, fumbling about in the dark. I've looked on various job sites and applied through agencies, but I generally don't hear anything back. Has anyone out there got any advice? Is it still possible to apply to companies directly instead of going through a third party? Does anyone know of any companies in the Midlands that are hiring or about to be hiring? Do companies actually take people on and give them training now? I don't have a degree or anything, but I have experience working in some Oracle technologies and I'm very keen to get back into work. I'd like the opportunity to learn new skills too.

If anyone can possibly point me towards something that could help me out, I'd be incredibly grateful.

2. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    All I can do is sympathise, as I'm in more or less the same situation: newly jobless and fumbling around for something to do. I'm on the opposite side of the planet though. I've not had to go through the process of having to formally apply for something in a long time and my God it's much, much harder than I remember.

Recruitment agencies seem to be the way to go these days, I'm told. Other than that, I'm putting the word out to my actual friends (as opposed to the fair weather variety who vanished a while ago) and scanning the weekend papers and job sites pretty regularly.

Best of luck.

3. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    All I can tell ya is to expand your network and really work it. The most reliable and most applicable hits will come from that network, so you really need to put work into building and maintaining that.

4. Cerebros

Cerebros TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't know if they have temporary help companies in the UK. But in the U.S. there are companies (temp agencies) that provide temporary employees to other companies. If you get in and the company likes you enough, they may hire you full time away from the temp agency.

Good luck! wish i could help...

5. honestgabe

honestgabe I

be a webcam girl for Sami.

6. TOM

TOM From one hood to Yours

Ebay:
    If you'd move to the states
    pjm.com

This company is SUPER STRICT though..

7. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Try phoning the companies directly that you're interested in.