Customs: Help please - Future floor polish cracking/chipping

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by mampy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I need your help, specially those of you who get great results with future as a clear coat

I painted my robovision prime with tamiya and mr. hobby acrylics, i gave it a good wash with soap and warm water, and allowed the paint to cure for more than a week..

But after applying a clearcoat of future, I still get fine cracks in the finish. I also noticed that some areas could be scratched with a fingernail and a little pressure, while some pretty much have the "rock hard finish" that people claim to get from future.

So, for those that use Future for their repaints, how do you get consistently great results?

2. SonRay

SonRay Banned

How are you applying the floor polish (i dont use it as i had terrible results with it, so i recommend not using it) as that might have something to do with the problem.

3. mampy

News Credits:
    I brush it on. It's weird 'coz the results are mixed. I'm having no problems with chipping and scratching on my bumblebee, only on prime.

BTW, thanks for replying despite your dislike for acrylics :p 

4. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    It doesn't go well with Tamiya, that much I know for sure. For some reason you get the results you did, or the ones I did where it "ate" the paint. I applied Tamiya Flat Black to a regular Voyager Prime and had to keep recoating it for paint disappearing. You can airbrush it for better results, I do mine with those cheap Testors car coating kits with the aerosol cans and cap that holds the paint/Future in a glass bottle.

5. mampy

News Credits:

Really? thanks for sharing.

hmm.. now i've got a problem. the only real hobby acrylics in my country are tamiya acrylics and gunze sangyo mr. hobby (which are kinda crappy).

while for clear coats, i've tried future, krylon crystal clear (which gives me an ugly icing-like finish). i guess i'll try the mr. hobby clear coats, though they're quite expensive for my budget.

6. mampy

News Credits:
    wait, does anyone else have an experience of tamiya paint cracking under a clear coat of future?

yesterday, i recoated some of the cracked blue parts of prime with tamiya acrylic, then reapplied future. it has cured and there seems to be no visible cracks.

there are also no cracks at all on the silver drybrushed and gold painted sections.

7. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    thats what you have to do in your situation. I bought a lot of Tamiya too and rather than waste it, I just recoat and re apply future. It doesnt seem to crack and mess up over metallics, just solid base colors.

8. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    Also try not so much to b rush it, but dab it. I know sometimes you have to, but it will self level anyway you do it. The future will "bite" sometimes where the brush hits the paint.

9. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tip!

10. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    np I think I am one of the Future exclusive guys here. I dont know everything by a mile, but I know enough.

11. mampy

News Credits:
    oh yeah, is it better to use multiple light coats or thicker ones?

Thin coats seem to chip and scratch but thicker coats leave some white-ish buildup on seams.

BTW, the future floor polish equivalent in my country is white and dries clear. I think the guide in swannymodels.com mentioned something like that. Does it make a difference with the US future that is clear in the bottle?

12. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    Not sure, its all I ever used, I'm in the US. I figure its the same as Testors Model Masters Clear coat in a bottle, milky then dries clear. I flash dry my coats sometimes with a hair dryer, if it gets those white spots and it clears that mup b ut you may have to hold it there for a minute or two and it c an get blistery hot on the hands.

13. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    Yeah use light coats, sorry out that. Its better to coat it a few times than one or two heavy ones cause it is harder to fix when theres a lot to manage. Ammonia based cleaners (windex) work good for removing excess if you get a lot in a corner or edge and dont stain it or anything.