Customs: [Help] Painting over transparent pieces

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Kung Fu Roo, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

I think i saw someone paint over a clear yotg something and it didnt look great. I wonder if that was just a result of the painter or just a result of painting over transparent plastic.

Anywho, is painting of transparent pieces the same once you just cover everything with primer?

I may pick up a transparent phantom for cheap (about 20 USD) and paint it g1 colors.

[​IMG]

2. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Gunpla and Cow Master

Are you trying to paint the figure in opaque colors or keep it clear?

I use Testors Model Master Acrylics, and they've got a variety of Clear colors I use all the time on Gunpla. No primer required.

3. Kung Fu Roo

opaque. i dont know if its worth the hassle of saving 20-30 bucks AUD. However, money saved over there is money for more paint over here. ive seen a couple of ppl paint clear opaque and it didnt look very good. IDK if its the process or the artist.

4. Hadlen_Weltall

Maybe both. When it comes to what you're applying and the conditions you do it in. Painting directly onto clear parts can get messy, or thin out poorly, so you're best method is to prime it first in any large scale painting applications. either by spray can, airbrush, or hand brush. Which ever you feel more comfortable doing.

I just did some work like that myself. For my Perfect Grade Unicorn Gundam's clear psychoframe parts. I painted them over in silver and a red clear coat.

Originally it was this kind of clear ABS.
    20150301_201232.jpg
    I used a flat black primer in a spray can because a black base coat really brings out the look for metallic colors.

20181111_203929.jpg

Then I switched over to Testors acrylic through my air brush.

Silver first.

20181112_222312.jpg

And then some Clear Red.

20181116_213720.jpg

Trick is to keep it even, I know I'll still need to give these parts another coat of clear red before I attach them.

I also just finished a DABAN (decent quality knockoff copy) Banshee Gundam bust display base. It too was clear parts.

20180504_111011.jpg

Same procedure Prime and paint. Some gold acrylic for the crest, but for the armor I painted it in matte blue acrylic.

20190109_235553.jpg

. And finished it with a gloss coat.

20190111_115917.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kung Fu Roo

thanks for the advice and inspiration. good work

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hadlen_Weltall

Happy to help, best of luck on your projects!