Customs: Help or advice needed

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Renegade Razor, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Renegade Razor

Renegade Razor Renegade Team Leader

Hey guys. I need help in getting started on some customs. The monstrously huge Fort Max that is shown on here that was created by 6leo, was made from I think poly styrene sheets. I would like to build some bots using that method but I'm unsure where to begin. Can any of you recommend some sites for me to shop? I'm trapped in a little town in VA so I would have to use the net to shop. Also, I'd like to find a good pourable plastic for making custom bots. Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Styrene is pretty easy to find, as it's used for all sorts of hobby building. I personally use Evergreen Scale Models Styrene:
    Evergreen Scale Models

But if there's a hobby shop in your town, chances are they carry some styrene.

As for making custom bots from pourable plastic? You would need molds and prototype parts to make those molds from. And the materials needed to make molds are not cheap or easy to use out of the gate from what I know, plus it takes a LOT of practice to get things right. If you want to make custom bots, you might be better off learning how to use a 3d modeling software and have your stuff printed through Shapeways. That too is expensive, but it's easier than trying to make your own molds.

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

^ good advice. We'd be able to help you more if you were more specific on what you were trying to do.
    but there have been some great tutorials recently about working with styrene. Read up on those. I think Jarrods tutorial on how he builds is good too becasue it shows how you break down shapes into workable boxes. i wouldn't try and attempt something like that your first try (or do it! just try and not to get frustrated). but drawing what you want to do first is a great step.

Randy!

4. Renegade Razor

Renegade Razor Renegade Team Leader

Thank you both so much. I'll try the link you sent and go from there. I love that metroplex that I mentioned and I would love to do something like that. I love big bots and want to try that. Thanks again.

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

For big pieces, i'd recomend not making major strucutral pieces out of Stryene, but out of ABS. Styrene is pretty soft, and unless you reinforce it well, it's not going to hold up under it's own weight.

What i'd recomend for a big project is to mock it up out of cardboard first. Grab boxes from your work or go to local business and ask to raid their recycle bin. the benefits of this is you get to try a big build where you dont' have to pay for supplies, and you can get a feel of what it's going to take to make something like this. You need to keep in mind that the Fort Max you mention wasn't built in a month, or even a year. He's most likely been working on that for awhile, so you need to keep that in mind. i'm not trying to discourage you, just want you to be realistic with the size of the project you're trying to pull off. But building it in cardboard will help you out big time in the long run for your first build.

Randy!