Customs: HELP! on painting

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by legolas grof, Feb 14, 2011.

1. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    I custom painted a lego; I used testors enamal gloss and after waiting 48hours it could be scratched off pretty easily. I'm looking for a paint that will literally never come off. If you have any suggestion please post here:

I am looking for a brush paint not spray

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well krylon fusion is pretty hard wearing paint but from experience and many others will agree almost all paint will scratch or chip.

If you can find a paint that doesn't then I'd like to have some!

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'll certainly agree. I don't think there's a paint on the market that's completely indestructible. As Nellie says, Krylon Fusion has a good rep, but I've never seen it over here to try it out. Of course, it also depends partially on what kinds of plastic you're applying the paint to, and I'm not sure how easily Lego takes paint anyway.

The only foolproof way of guaranteeing a more-or-less chip proof "paintjob" is to dye the plastic, and even that's not foolproof. Dyeing does take a lot of practice, and the colour depends heavily on the type of plastic and the colour it already is (you can't dye yellow plastic blue, for instance; it'll just turn green). You could, however, dye it a base colour (like black), so that when it's painted the right colours, any chips that do happen don't show as easily.

Any paintjob's going to require careful handling.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also take note to sand the piece before painting as well. This will give the paint something to "grab" onto. If you don't sand it, any paint, even paints designed to adhere better to plastics will chip away. Sanding ther parts will also remove any of thee mold release agents from the plasticsbeing painted.