Help on a Pay Pal dispute

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by thyvipera, Dec 13, 2007.

1. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure what to do here, because this is a first for me. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A few weeks ago, a guy from China won an ebay auction from me. He sent an echeck to my paypal, and once it cleared, I shipped the package immediately and even insured it for him, since it wasn't being insured. I sent the guy the tracking number.

4-5 days later the package returned, because the postmaster didn't scan the confirmation number or something like that, and it was mailed back out.

Yesterday, he sent me a message saying that the confirmation number has no record. I checked the number myself, and says "has no record."

Before I can even talk to the postmaster about this, he has opened a paypal dispute about this.

It's been 3 weeks, and he's flipping out about this. Any advice?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Talk to the postmaster. Then empty your Paypal account if at all possible.

I think that guy's just being a dick and doesn't understand the problems are beyond your control.

3. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

my paypal account is empty, but it's saying -$130.00 (the amount he paid me). I'm going to talk to the PM, but i doubt there's anything she can tell me or do that would be helpful. Can paypal draft the money amount out of my checking? I sure hope not. This sucks.

4. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Well, I've just got screwed up because I didn't open a paypal dispute, so I can't really go against it - it's just a way to have someone watching over the transaction. You "could" talk to your postmaster now and resolve the dispute, it's not a huge offense that he opened it first. Make sure you keep everything on record, including your postmaster's response.

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    If the auction had buyers protection then paypal can cover the total loss.
    Emptying your paypal account doesn't help.

Anyway I'd say write back in the dispute console what you just wrote, paypal reviews all correspondance. I'd say you have a good case because you did your part of the deal, but the mail service screwed up.

6. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

thanks for the help guys, hopefully it ends up right.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see one problem here and it's the reason that Wheeljack'slab won't take payments from anyone outside the US through Paypal... basically if someone outside the US opens a Paypal dispute they can and will draft the money directly from your checking account. I've seen it happen to a couple of my friends and it's hard to get Paypal to reverse it once they side in favor of the foreign buyer... and they usually do immediately.

8. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Well that's not my experience. Paypal reviews the dispute if escalated to a claim, and even so it'll take some time for them to review it.
    I have a claim open where i bought a new figure but was evidently sent a used one, and paypal have been reviewing the case since nov. 16th, I haven't seen any money being transferred either way.

9. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

again, thanks for the input everyone.

I just got off the phone with a paypal agent. She said that they don't go into checking accounts or credit card accounts and draw any money. She said if it escalated in the buyers favor, I would have a negative amount in my PP account, and I would need to get that back to positive or at 0 to continue transactions through PP.

I sent the buyer this message today:

Hi,

I havn't had the chance to talk to the postmaster to find out what might be going on with the tracking number. As soon as I do, I'll let you know what she says. I've been sick all week, and have been off work. I'm sure it will be there as soon as possible. Like I said, the package was returned last week, due to a customs form needing to be filled out. That was out of my hands, due to it being the Post Offices responsibility. I have the insurance and tracking number receipt in my hand. I saw that there was a paypal dispute opened. The package has been in transit for a week to this day, because of it returning for the customs form. I'm not responsible for the this, and I apologize. As soon as I talk to the Post Master, I'll let you know what she says. I really hope you understand that none of this is my fault, and that I shipped the package out ASAP. If you would like me to send you a picture or a copy of the insurance and tracking number receipt via e-mail, I'd be happy to.

Daniel

He should receive his package within 2 weeks. I just don't think he's going to be patient. But hopefully everything works out.

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Just out of curiosity, what did you sell? $130 is a pretty decent amount.

11. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Good reply. There's not much else you can do !
    On the other hand the it could be that the buyer has bad seller experiences and only my making disputes he has been able to get some reaction (or not) from them.

I'm sure it will work out for the best :) 

12. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i sold him a g1 scorponok body, metroplex body, Countdown with some acc., 90% complete Ultra Magnus, and a complete Red Alert.

13. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Just to clarify some things:

What method of shipping did you send - First Class, Priority, or EMS?

And just to make sure, the tracking number you sent him wasn't the insurance number, the one on the black & white sticker, was it? That number doesn't provide any tracking.

Do you have the customs number on a Post Office-printed receipt or a carbon copy of the customs form?

Keep in mind if the package doesn't arrive, or at least that's what the buyer claims, and Paypal goes in his favor since there's no tracking, you may be able to recover as much as you insured it for; it sounds like a lost package which is covered by the insurance.

14. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I've got a problem of my own that maybe you guys could help me out with.

I bought an item from someone (non-ebay purchase) and I never received it. I made a dispute and somehow I guess it was escalated to a claim. My account says that my refund is pending. The status says that it's being reviewed by PayPal, and at the same time the claim details say "We are temporarily unable to determine the status of your case."

I'm really confused as to what's going on. Am I going to get my money back ?
    It'd be really comforting if I could get some insight. If you need any more details ask for it. Thank you guys.

15. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits: