Customs: Help needed with casting materials

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by UltraMagnus2008, Oct 15, 2008.

1. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Hey guys I just got permission from the wife to go in on some hydrospan but I am trying to do as much research about the mold process as possible before I blow tons of money. I have small experience modelling and casting 25mm table top figures but anything large for those systems is done in a very hard, and brittle resin and often times comes to you warped and distorted.
    What is thee best (in your opinions, professional or not) medium for the molds.
    What is the best plastic to use for the actual figure. I need molds that are going to be reusable and durable( so i can make multiples) and plastic that is sturdy enough to support supreme size figures without falling apart like a bag of dicks.

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Smooth-on products for everything. A platinum Cure Silicon for the molds so they will be durable and reusable like you said(Dragon Skin Q is the best but is a bit thick). For resin I would say that Task 2 is the best bet, one of the strongest liquid plastics, it has a 1 hour demold time which is the lowest for that strength of plastic too.