Help Needed for D.I.Y. Xtransbots Glider (Powerglide)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Yesterday I received a D.I.Y Xtransbots Glider, and I’ve got his assembly worked out for the most part, but I’m having some trouble with the inside of his shins. If anyone has assembled one, or has a preassembled one and a camera, I would really appreciate the help.

2. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    I don't have my lightbox up right now and I only have a pre-built Glider figure, so I took a few pics of the actual shin transformation with my cel, hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

That's great! It should solve all the issues I've had with assembling him. At least lining up which part goes where. I haven't even started looking at the pins, which should be easy, and the screws, which won't be quite as easy. Right now I wish I had bought a premade one. I didn't expect it to be quite as difficult as its proven.

4. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    I got one of the Lamborgini brothers DIY kits and I still haven't started at all for similar reasons.
    I saw a review of the Hot Rod DIY kit on youtube and the reviewer mentioned he had trouble with the pins stressing the plastic, so I guess heating the pins up before installing them would be a good idea.
    I'm not really sure what I'm going to with the paint yet.

As for the screws on Glider, I believe it only uses 8 screws total, 2x for each wing and 2x for each tail fin/wing. The screws mainly hold in place the retention plates that add friction to their respective joints (so that you can loosen or tighten them up). I don't see any other screws on the figure at all.

5. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

There are about 30 screws (maybe 5 or 6 types), and about 30 pins (again, about 5 or 6 different lengths) in the bag.

I bought a red, a white, and black Glider, as well as a white Sideswipe, and a clear Optimus Prime. I already had Sideswipe and Optimus Prime, so if need be, I can just look at them. From the Gliders, I'm going to make a Powerglide, Hot House, and a Bad Boy, but now I kind of wish I had bought a fourth to make Tailwind.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, it looks like Glider needs 11 screws (3 per arm, 1 per wing, 1 per leg, and the rear of the cockpit), and I think I counted 35 pins required.

6. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

Where do you go about getting the DIY Powerglide? I've been looking at getting the figure but haven't seen this option.

7. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Only one place that I know of.....:drunk  :lol 

8. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

TF Source used to have assembled Gliders (red body, white limbs, Autobot markings) and Wild Childs (white body, dark blue limbs, Decepticon markings). They seem to have delisted them.

Robot Kingdom is sold out of assembled Gliders, but still has Wild Childs.

KO Toys has D.I.Y. Gliders in black, white, or red. They also have assembled Glider, Hothouse (white body, red limbs, Autobot markings), Hot house Deceiver (same, but with Decepticon symbols), and Wild Child. They're sold out of Power Rat (purple body, grey limbs, cobra markings).

9. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    We need some pics of YOUR assembled DIY Gliders now! :D 

Seriously.

10. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got nothing to add to this topic, but I just wanted to applaud the time and effort taken to help someone out with all of those pics.

I got bummed out on forums in general after reading a video game forum to learn some Zelda controls I wasn't quite getting. Half the responses were berating the guy who posted the same question I had, telling him he should have paid more attention to the tutorial and not even helping at all.

Stuff like this evens it out for me. Points for Slip Stream.

11. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Does anyone know how to install well, I'm not sure what it's called. It has a wide, flat head, like a screw, but without anything for a screwdriver. Below it's narrow and smooth, like a pin, and below that it has groves, like a screw.

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I admit I'm puzzled what the merit of heating pins to put them in or get them out is - won't it just melt the plastic ? and doesn't metal expand when heated ?

I think using some gardening wire or a paper clip can be useful to line up the holes in the parts for assembly.

I'd be interested to know what people use as I have some kits due to come soonish (I hope) too.

13. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Heating it up? I saw that on the tutorial to get a pin out, but is that the only way to get one back in (Wide end, smooth middle, screw on the other end)?

14. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Does anyone know how to insert a pin/screw that has a wide, flat end (like a screw, but without a groove for a screwdriver), smooth narrow middle (like a pin), and then rings, like a screw? I've heard something about heating it up. Is that the only way? Is there a tutorial for it anywhere?

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    You know, it might have helped to include instructions or a cheat sheet of some kind. I can't find anything on KOtoys to help.