Help Needed - Cutting a Hole into a Metal Replica

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Olivus Prime, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Recently I got hold of a very nice looking replica of the Genie's lamp from Disney's Aladdin, but with one flaw - there's no hole in the spout. For full accuracy, I'd like to cut a hole, but having never used drills/dremels etc. on models before, I'm not really sure how to go about it.

Any suggestions for a setup and tool to do so? As you can see, I've already begun filing into the spot where the hole would be, but this was by hand and took a needlessly long time.

IMG_3477[1].JPG
    IMG_3479[1].JPG

2. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Does the lid come off? Is it hollow inside or a solid piece? There’s no point in creating a spout without somewhere for the hole to go.

3. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    Looking at the end of that lamp, drilling a hole may be a bad idea. It is very thin and the heat alone could break it. I would paint a fake hole and leave it alone.

4. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    It's hard to say without having it in-hand. What I would be most tempted to do with this piece is to seal that seam with putty, sand it smooth and repaint it. After that, like @ichnach said, painting it on with a flat black might be the best way to go.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Post questions/request for advice here, in Creative General Discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the replies thus far. The lamp is hollow with a removable lid. Fragility is certainly a concern, hence my hesitance to use a drill.

7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I really think a drill is going to be your best bet. Start with a small bit to make a pilot hole and use a slow speed. If you've got any way to clamp it down, that will help a lot in keeping you from messing up. No disrespect to anybody but I really don't think painting a hole is going to look good at all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sataninjaku

Sataninjaku Member

Ebay:
    Id have to say dremel for the precise control it affords, though id actually recommend black and deckers brand of rotary tool- in one six month period I killed two dremel motors, ive had the BD for the past 4 years since!
    First, you'll want to make sure that lamp is secured in a vise between a couple of towels to protect the finish, then carefully create a dimple or guide hole where you want the hole to be. This will help to keep the bit from slipping out of place. Then you're all set! As far as actual bits, your best bet would be to ask someone at the hardware store ( not walmart), as the options are really to numerous to be specific about here! Remember: slow and steady, let the tool do the work for you. Good luck, and show when its done!

• Like Like x 2