Help: My phone and tablet are mixed up

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Has anyone else had any devices think they're something else?

My Galaxy S3 is screwing with me, it thinks it's an Asus Transformer Prime Tablet.

No kidding.

The lock screen actually says "Treadshot A1's Tranformer Prime Tablet". Now, that was actually set by me on my Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime, which of course runs Android 4, the same as the Galaxy S3. I set up my S3 while my Transformer Prime tablet was in servicing.

So, what do i do when i get the TF201 back? It's still in servicing, but will my google account know there's two different machines when it comes back? Or does it think my phone is a tablet? I'm worried that the phone may be registering as a tablet (my tablet has been in servicing for twice the time Asus said it would take, which is only making me worry more). The last thing i want is someone at Asus' repairs department searching for my device, only to find my phone registering as it (thus leaving them holding an obviously not-working Tablet, while thinking somewhere the tablet is working, when it's really my phone).

I don't really know what i'm asking here, i just wanted to know if someone else had been through the same thing.

2. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Wow, this is an odd one! I have no advice for you, but I hope this doesn't happen when I get my S3, cause I also own a ASUS TF Prime XD

I find this rather hilarious actually XD

S3 Phone: "I'm sick of being a puny phone, I'm powerful, I'M A TABLET!"
    Asus TF: Prime: "DURR, I'M A PHONE!"

I won't know until Canada get's their S3's, whenever that is...

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Does android have cloud connection? ( idk because I have an ios products ). Maybe the cloud connection f'ed it up. Maybe turn off the cloud and restart each device if you can do that.

4. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    lol, your S3 thinks it's a Transformer Prime? Awkward...

I won't have an S3 until next week, so I don't think I can help you, but uh... Try transforming it.

BU BOOM TSSSSSS

5. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Wow thats weird. No advice sorry.

I did have a situation similar though. When my original XBox "died" it continued to function as a DVD player, but wouldn't play games. So when you put a game in it would say something along the lines of "This is an XBox game, put it into an XBox gaming system to play."

6. Treadshot A1

The likely explanation is that because both of my devices are synced to my google account (for emails, YouTube, etc), the phone's just pulling the old personal data stored on google. However, that seems to be the only piece of personal data it took. The background is different, the settings are different...the only thing they both share is that lock screen message.

For the record, I don't use cloud storage, nor any form of cloud updating. My machines may be linked to my google account, but they are not set up to be synced with each other, only with my account.

I'm worried if I change the lock screen message on my phone, say, to something like "Treadshot A1's Galaxy S3 Phone", then when I get my TF Prime Tablet back, it'll say the same thing! :lol 

I can only take comfort in the fact that this has no effect on the S3 at all, and neither does if affect the TF Prime (mainly because I've not been in possession of the two at the same time up until now, my tablet's been in servicing since prior to my acquisition of the phone). I hope it stays that way.

I don't know why my S3 wants to be a tablet, though. The specs of the S3 beat my TF Prime's specs, and that's the best tablet on the market bar none. Maybe my S3 feels a bit too smart.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Dunno. My Droid and my Incredible 2 are both synched to the same Google account and it knows the difference. Google's cloud also doesn't rely on you to name the device either, so I suspect something else is going on. By any chance did you transfer the micro SD card from one device to the other?

EDIT: Wait, it's on the lock screen? That's because you opted to backup your personal settings to the cloud. It's an "owner" text string and doesn't mean anything about the device itself. Try just changing it to something that doesn't have the device name in it, or turn off the automatic cloud backup.

8. Treadshot A1

Ah, so it's not too big a problem. Phew.

Um, so if i change it on my phone, does that mean the same change would then carry over to my Tablet when i get it back?

9. flamepanther

Most likely, although not necessarily immediately.

10. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This. Don't do the backup thing.

I'd do a factory reset on both devices when you get the tablet back.

11. Treadshot A1

Hmm...I don't recall backing up to the cloud (I try not to use cloud whenever possible, which is always).

How do I turn off the automatic backup? I'm assuming i can just turn it off and then change the lock screen on my S3 to read something else without the changes affecting my tablet.

12. flamepanther

Not sure about ICS (I'm still on Gingerbread) but it's usually in the settings under "Privacy Settings." On mine, it's split into two check boxes marked "Backup My Data" and "Automatic Restore"

13. Treadshot A1

On ICS, it's under Backup and Reset.

However, my phone has the "Back Up My Data" box UNchecked, and no i didn't just uncheck it then. It was unchecked, and would have been unchecked since i first turned on my phone. Only Automatic Restore is checked.

14. Smashs

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    To turn off the backup:

Settings --> Backup and Restore --> Uncheck the stuff in there

Preferably though, you shouldn't have opted to restore the data when you first set up your phone. I made the same mistake cause I wasn't paying attention when I flashed the latest AOKP. A simple factory restore took care of it, then I went through and installed my apps manually.

15. flamepanther

That's your culprit. It restored settings from your tablet. That can still be the case even if the setting was turned off on the tablet, as long as there was ever a time it was on. If the tablet never had the backup setting enabled at any time, then I'm at a complete loss.

16. Treadshot A1

The thing is, i can't uncheck Automatic Restore. The box is washed out, meaning it's not available for me to change.

Meh, i think i'll just change the phrase to be something that doesn't say anything about either machine, that way neither machine will identify as something it's not.

On a brighter note, Asus sent me an email today, so my Tablet is being sent back! Yay!

17. Smashs

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You checked it when you set up the phone out of the box.

edit: Actually, I think it's pre-checked, so you would have to uncheck during set up.