Help me with my Plasma HDTV

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by llamatron, Jul 3, 2008.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, got this 50" Samsung about 2 - 3 months ago. I'm careful to not let it screen burn, but about a week ago I noticed a strange problem. Sometimes there is a grid of either white or black dots on the screen - it's a set grid (each "dot" is larger than an individual pixel) but it's not permanent. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. They also fade in and out of existence depending on the colour being displayed. They are never showing if I use the VGA input (PC) but do show up a lot on HDMI (Xbox 360), Component (Wii) or digital TV. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I can't seem to find anything about this problem on the internet, and before anyone even tries to mention it - IT IS NOT SCREEN BURN. Pics for fun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I would hazard a guess and say its your cables. The inputs are loose, or dirty or something.

My 360 does this weird shit sometimes and I have to reconnect the cables, relatively similar looking, just more blue.

IT IS MORE THAN LIKELY I AM WRONG THOUGH.

3. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Could be the plasma panel itself, it might be slowly failing. Plasmas fare worse with consumers in overall quality compared to LCDs. Still, an old tube set worked wonders for 50 years, and no one complained back then, not really.

Sometimes, reinventing the wheel just ain't gonna roll.

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

If the set is still under warranty from where you purchased, I would see about having them fix it or get you a new one. You could call a local TV repair as well and see if they've heard of this problem and know a simple fix for it. I recently did that to a CRT I had and his suggestions worked.

5. Jarradtron21

Jarradtron21 OhOhOh it vibrates

My Samsung LCD did something similar to that..I eventully figured it out that I was running it at 1080p when I only had component cables which meant it could only run at 1080i (or is it the other way around with the p and i?) ...as soon as i got a HDMI cable the dots went away at 1080p.

I could only notice the dots when the screen was black like when playing halo 3 online and it was loading the game showing the teams etc... dunno if this helps or not

6. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Might want to see if there is a firmware update for your TV.

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the input guys... I haven't had time to play around with it much yet, but so far I've put the HDMI cable into HDMI port 2 (instead of port 1) and it seems to be working fine now (and also looking a lot more HD like then it used too...). Could have just been a loose cable or some kind of 1080 i/p mixup as mentioned.

8. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

That would definitely cause problems. There are some (or there were, not sure if they're made any more...) TVs that produce 1080p over component, but they're expensive and it's only as a courtesy so you can fully utilize the jack pack setup.

Generally, 1080i is the most you can get out of component. We finally gave in and bought a HDMI cable. Also, you need to make sure that your set's firmware is up to date and that you're using HDMI 1.3 cables. (That's the standard right now)

I do miss the days when you plugged it in, turned it on and just watched TV.... don't get me wrong, I love high definition, I do, but I'm not sure it was absolutely necessary.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i have something similar on my tv, but the dots were dark and much harder to see. only seems to happen on my hdmi connection...