help me with my creative block. (my trans/game room has been a wreck for years

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by primenemesis, Nov 2, 2010.

1. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    Post pics of ideas given if possible

I think i've forgotten how to use my imagination. When i was young i could pull this kinda stuff from thin air.

Now my collection sits in my game room unfinished mostly furnished but things sitting all around, when i try to get them up and out my imagination can never come up w/ a scheme.

one of the things i wanted to do was make an area for what i like to call hunter or assasins (just really bad ass looking robots who look like they were made to hunt you down) example Energon Mirage, recon ironhide thats what a "bad ass i'm gonna hunt you down and vaporize you" looks like in my opininon

I even have Ikea glass cabinets in there, just put up a shelf above my 42" LG tv hanging on the wall and still i have this what i like to call "creative block"

example:
    a shelf w/ nothing but classics is cool but a little lame w/ no theme.

basically what i'm asking here is for ideas for displays. But themed ideas their never gonna look good to me just thrown in there.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

If I had painting skills, I've been having this idea lately. Take two matching bookcases, like the one I got for my collection and paint them up in Transformer graphics.
    Example, since my collection mostly consists of G1, I'd have one painted up in Autobot colors and graphics that closely match the G1 boxes, red/silver, or whatever their respective colors were. For the Decepticons, it would be painted to match their respective boxes. I'd also probably would put some LED's in appropriate colors in the bookcases as well.
    In other words, paint and detail the display cases to match the theme of the figures you are displaying.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

My shelves are set to EPIC STANDOFF with Autobots on one side, Decepticons on the other with their guns pointed, well... not exactly towards each other, but towards a focal point in the middle. Just so I don't have the figures standing completely sideways.

4. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    need more ideas

5. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Leader Shelf, Scientist Shelf, Peaceful Shelf, Hunter Shelf, Treacherous Shelf, Follower Shelf, Comic Relief Shelf, "Not so smart" Shelf, Devastating Power Shelf

6. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Or you can just organize them by line. G1 shelf, RiD shelf, Armada shelf, etc. That's pretty much what I've done in my toy room with the exception of a few dedicated to specific characters.

7. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

I always thought that set-up was particularly good looking. :) 

8. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    ok lets get sum pics

the epic showdown might be good but i only think if they are of the same size class.

9. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Go to your local hobby shop and get some HO scale train buildings and landscape and build a sweet scene of a city or forest I find HO scale buildings trees and street lamps look best. That's my plan when my basement gets finished over the next few weeks. Let the battle begin!

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually have quite a minimalist display system with normally no more than ten on display at the same time. They're either themed (such as 'Megatron and his lieutenants' or 'G1 Autobots') or posed in an all-out brawl. I rotate them every week or two, I find that by doing this I appreciate my figures more and I avoid having WALL OF PLASTIC and not really seeing any individual characters.

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think a shelving unit built to look like unicron's head would rock.

I'm an artist and I can get carried away so I'll just leave that one. :) 

12. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, there is a couple of way you could do things.

For instance, I have Unicron destroying Cybertron (Primus) on top of my Detolf shelf. So that is the destruction scene. All the way on the buttom of the Detolf Shelf I have the Autobots Movie figures on the right and the Decepticon/Quints on the left:

(Pic was taken on the floor then moved to the Detolf top of Cabinet.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the problem you will have with posing figures is that it takes up huge amount of space on a shelf. So you will need to have a lot more shelves. I actually moved these to a smaller shelf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then you could always do cool looking poses for the pairing of the figures:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this helps.

13. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    this is good stuff. a good amount of information will help me to inspiration.
    keep it coming

14. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I used to just have a henkei/classics set of shelves, but then I spun off my '86 movie guys to a new shelf, and it totally worked. Here are some pics of my movie shelf. Now I just have to find a way to fit MP Grimlock in there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

As I look through this thread, it seems that I'm not the only one that thought an '86 movie shelf was a good idea. Great minds think alike.

16. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    I also have 3 detolf lined up side by side so detolf looks good but can be hard to arrange excess head room, meaning shelves are not arrangeable.

17. Alucard77

News Credits:
    you gotta get risers, makes it easier. Those quints are on risers. Look at the IKEA site for their bathroom soap stuff. They have clear sets for like $12 which has a whole bunch of items you can use as risers. Helps in those. I think I am going to get a third detolf myself.

18. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I have shelves mounted above my computer desk that I rearrange from time to time based on whim...right now I have beastformers from numerous lines lined up poised to battle over Transmutate. Prior to that it was a movie-themed display.
    On the other side of the room I have 3 Detolfs and 3 bookcases filled to greater or lesser extent with themed and randomly grouped figures. I like variety so this works for me. Pics are available in my Flickr link or collection thread.

19. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    can ya send me a link i was just in ikea website looking through that bathroom soap section? I live about hour away from ikea i love that place.

IKEA FTMFW

20. Alucard77

News Credits:

THere is Korjford set which is discontinued, but if you are in store you will find it.

This set should also do just fine:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70177477