Help me understand the big appeal of having more characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Snark, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing I've noticed since I started hanging round the Prime board on TFW, is that people always seem to want new characters to join the cast. From the recent Constructicon rumour to fan reaction when Prime Prowl and Barricade were first revealed, the general consensus always seemed to be that new characters would be great.

Personally, I genuinely abhor the thought of adding more Bots to the main cast at this stage. I am less adverse to the idea of more Cons, simply because villains generally don't get as much screen time and development anyway. But in regard to the protagonists, I feel that there's still so much to do with them, that a new bot would simply dilute the cast and story, not strengthen it.

However, this has always been my approach to stories in general, not just Transformers. I've long felt that smaller, tighter casts are superior to their bloated counterparts.

So really, my question is why does everyone always seem to want new robots running around in Prime? This isn't meant to be flamebait or a pointless internet argument; I genuinely don't understand why there always seems to be this huge demand for new characters, and would really like to know why.

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    1) Everyone has their own favorite characters for whatever reason and want them in the show, so you get lots of "I want to see x in the show" posts.

2) Everyone wants toys. Lots and lots of cool toys.

Personally, I want a larger cast with the story expanded off of Earth to show the scope and scale of the interstellar war that has been raging across the cosmos for millions of years. You just don't get a sense of that with a small cast on one planet. Now that's not to say I can't appreciate a narrow view of one theater of the war because I can(love me some 08th MS team), but I think the TF universe has never attempted to use their property in the mode of a grand space opera and I'd like to see that show. Lots of aliens, different locales and a grand conflict spanning the ages shaping the destiny of all. It could be epic.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think one of the reasons is that terms like the Great War or war with the Decepticons gets thrown around but when it's only a handful of characters it feels more like a skirmish rather than a full blown war. Blame people like Peter Jackson but some people just want to see a huge massive battle at some point with bigger than life characters.

With so many years of Transformers everyone has favorite characters that they would love to see get one more shot at the spot light. Or with Transformers Prime dipping into the entire history of Transformers having the shot to have Transformers interact that could not in the past because I know I'd love a robo cat fight between Thunderblast and Arcee with bonus points if Thunderblast was voiced by someone from Firefly.

With the new art style of Transformers Prime I think there is also that curiosity factor people have of what some characters would look like in the Transformers Prime style. How the different designs over the years could be fussed into one bot.

While the Decepticon troopers have been nice there is just something different about character vs character over character vs generic trooper. Just feels like the odds of the Decepticons pulling off some minor wins increases when characters are involved in the mix.

I also think some people like to have things mixed up a bit more. Some times with a small cast it gets a little too easy to predict how the good guys or bad guys will react to a situation so new character can change up the reaction of the good guys or bad guys.

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look it's just cool to see a new take on somebody, with a new design and voice.

It's like, guest stars in a sitcom, except we beg for toys of them.

5. Fierceawakening

Fierceawakening Deceptigeek

I honestly agree with you, but I don't particularly want to see more 'Cons either. I want to see more done with the characters we already have before new characters start appearing.

6. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    1) People sometimes tend to get bored of the same stuff
    2) More characters equals more toys, glorious toys.

7. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

In my experience, characters are one of the most important part of any entertainment. I too would like to see our main cast fleshed out properly before they start to expand.

8. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why cant we both at the same time meaning more characters and more character development of the characters we already have.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Oh Absolutley.

Plus I mean I've so badly want to see Prowl, Rodimus and Shockwave on the show.

10. Sockie

Sockie News Staff

News Credits:
    Because it's not as easy as you make it sound.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah I mean look at the G1 cartoon some of them only get 1 bits of dialogue like Skids or Windcharger)

12. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Because the cast of characters, from the episodes we've seen so far, are dull.
    That's just me though. If it doesn't start picking up soon, I'm done.

13. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

People like new character, and have always their favorites among all.

On Prowl and Barricade's case, it's because these designs were beyond imagination.

14. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

Well yeah it kind of is. How well developed was the Han Solo character after a few hours of episode 4? Good writing can flesh out a character pretty quick. Look how short of a run firefly had, and yet each of the characters on the crew(and many of the lesser cast) were nice and deep(well except Jane but his lack of depth is his depth if you get my meaning hehe).

So I'd say it would be easy to have a large well developed cast if you had the writing to back it up. so far Prime hasn't shown that kind of quality in its writing so...

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll agree that this smaller cast has given us much better characters. But I'll also admit that I want it to feel like a war, plus there are a lot of characters in the IP that people want to see, myself included.

So I say continue as is for now but start to show more characters as time goes on. Actually I think Animated did this quite well. Start off small but then once you get your footing show a number of minor characters as supporting roles.

16. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Well, I like seeing new characters because I usually prefer minor characters over the main ones. TF shows usually start out with the same tired old main players that we've seen a million times, and they just get boring after a while (IMHO). I like it when other characters are introduced to expand the cast past the core team and bring in some more interesting side characters. I'd much rather see one episode with Swindle or Blurr or Hot Rod or Perceptor than ten episodes about boring ol' Bumblebee.

17. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I think at this point I GET THE CHARACTERS ALREADY and that adding new ones adds to the mix. I feel like the current cast has gotten a little stale and needs a little more to make it more enjoyable. Soundwave and Bumblebee are silent so we don't get to know them and it seems every episode focuses on Bulkhead. Knockout is really the breakout character of the show and I think we are slowly learning more about Breakdown now. Starscream is now the central villian of the show now.

Adding new characters is a must now. Wheeljack should have been on the team but now he's the Tigatron of Prime. Only 5 Autobots and 4 non-drone Decepticons can only take the show so far.

18. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I wasn't a fan of BW. I liked how they handle the growing cast. Prime needs to do that. While I enjoy the show, some of the characters are kind of dull.

19. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Bullshit.
    They both speak with their actions and body move, Bumblebee is a young, naive, courageous and good-spirited Autobot with a sense of humour, Soundwave is a creepy silent manipulator who hides himself among the shadows and waits for the better time to strike.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Large cast and still working in some character isn't some sort of nearly impossible task.

Take a look at Justice League Unlimited. Just about every hero and villain from the DC universe showed up at some point. But by not always having the episodes revolve around the heavy hitters like Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman the B list characters like Booster Gold, Shining Knight, and Vigilante got to be characters instead of just back ground art.

Honestly I'd kind of like a little break from Prime, Bumblebee, Arcee, Ratchet, and Bulkhead once in a while to let some B list Autobots be the heroes of the day. And cartoons like Batman, Superman, or Spiderman have shown us that you can never have too big of a rouges gallery.