Help me remember this 80's sci-fi show

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Javi 2 Suave, May 1, 2007.

1. Javi 2 Suave

Javi 2 Suave The King Of Impulse TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok so I was trying to remember more about this old space/time travel show I saw once or twice when I was very young. I don't remember much, but I was hoping if I wrote what I did remember it might be familiar to somebody. Oh yea, I think it was on public television.

All I really remember is that it was a group of travelers who I believed used some kind of ring or yellow egg shaped device to travel around. I remember seeing them all holding on to some ring and spinnng around in space at the end of some episode.

It's sad but that's all I can remember and it's driving me crazy... Any ideas?

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

It's not Voyagers, by chance, is it? Aside from Quantum Leap, that's the only time travel show I can think of.

3. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

That happened at the end of the DR WHO story GENESIS OF THE DALEKS (1975). It's the only story (I think) that doesn't feature the traditional blue Police Box as a means of transport through time at all. The Time Lords send the Doctor (Tom Baker) on a mission to Skaro's past to prevent the evolution of the Daleks into war machines and give him a "Time Ring" to get back to the TARDIS when he's done.

It's a copper bracelet that all three characters (Doctor, Sarah Jane Smith and Harry Sullivan) have to grab onto and spin around and like I said, there's a scene of them spinning in space at the end as they journey back to where they left the TARDIS.

It's a long shot, as most people recognise and remember DR WHO for what it is, but I thought I'd throw it in there if you're not familiar with the show.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Didn't the guys in Sliders always jump through a ring at the end?

That was 90's though.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think redsquadron may be right. Doctor Who isn't nearly as well known in the United States as it is in the United Kingdom, and PBS is the most common place it's shown here, aside from the new(er) episodes airing on cable and satellite.

6. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

And now I think on, the very next DR WHO story, REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN, began in exactly the same way (virtually the same scene in fact!) as it was a direct continuation of GENESIS OF THE DALEKS.
    This may have given the impression that this method of travel was the 'norm' for those not familiar with the show.

7. Javi 2 Suave

Javi 2 Suave The King Of Impulse TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think you are both right, I actually am a huge Dr. Who fan and have a lot of the episodes, but must have completly forgotton about the end of Genesis of the Daleks and the ring. But that is the scene I was thinking of.

And, the Voyagers show was the other one I was trying to remember, once I looked it up and saw the device they used I realized it was what I was thinking of.

Thanks!