Help me remember an old dinosaur/japanese monster toy.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by netkid, Aug 28, 2010.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    When I was around 5 I bought 2 small Monster/Kaiju toys. Both were about 4 inches tall. I do not know what toy line they are from. Each toy was attached to a thick paper card by plastic zip ties. The back of the card showed all the other figures available.

One was a purple dinosaur-like monster with yellow eyes, green running down it's back, and it had 1 horn on top of it's head. The horn was not painted, but this monster did have white painted teeth and it's closed mouth was painted red. It was made of two parts, the upper half and the lower half, giving it one rotational point of articulation at it's waist. This monster looked very much like Geon from SNK's King of the Monsters video game (http://gaminghell.110mb.com/images/kotmgeon.gif).

The other monster was a teal dinosaur-like monster with 2 copper horns on it's head. It had wing-like shapes protruding from it's back. It also had gold eyes and a white belly. This monster also had 2 white painted teeth/fangs and it's closed mouth was painted red. It was made of two parts, the upper half and the lower half, giving it one rotational point of articulation at it's waist.

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Super Dino Monsters, although your carded versions may have been under a different name.

This is a cheap Chinese knockoff line consisting of mostly Ultraman monsters. Their sculpts are more rounded and "safer", not unlike the smaller Definitely Dinosaurs figures by Playskool which are of a similar style and size.

Over on LRG we only just recently had a discussion at length about this line!
    Please help ID these 2 piece figures. - LittleRubberGuys.com Forums

The two monsters you used to own are (vaguely) Black King and King Maimai.
    [​IMG]
    (I didn't update the image. 4 is Astron aka. Earthtron, 7 is Telesdon.)

3. netkid

News Credits:
  4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Chosen, is there any Kaiju toyline that you do not know of? Your knowledge is amazing! LOL!

5. netkid

News Credits:
  6. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

...it's sad when I don't double-check my post against... among other things, my own post.

You'll notice I also found a few of these on eBay, including the red Ghostron pictured at the end. None of them are your figures, but if you want, I'll send the links your way. They're $20 each or best offer, mind you, not cheap.

And I still don't get how two wildly different romanizations exist for that damn kaiju. Nobody's explained it sufficiently before.

:lol  I'm not a savant in the field or anything, but with a memory like mine and knack for digging info up, I get by.

Although credit for knowing this line can't actually go to me, just identifying the kaiju in the set.

7. netkid

News Credits:
    I can't find the auctions. Are they still attached to the backer cards or are they just loose?

I honestly wouldn't spend more than $8 a figure, considering they are KO's and all. I'd actually limit it to $5, but because they are old and a bit nostalgic to me, I would pay a few dollars more.

Also, I have 2 old Popy vinyl toys. One is of Godzilla and the other is of this orange chicken/dinosaur thingy. It kinda reminds me of Titanosaurus. The Godzilla has Gray eyes, which someone told me is of significance, meaning he's a 1st issue of the vinyl toy. How much would each toy b worth on today's market?

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

They're loose. I don't think the auctions are a great deal myself, but for someone nostalgic for them or interested in collecting the line, it might be worthwhile. Obviously not you.

Your "chicken thing" is Muruchi from Return of Ultraman, an aquatic-saurian monster mix, so the Titanosaurus resemblance is appropriate. As for value, hard to say. I can tell you that everything in the Godzilla's Gang line that isn't named Godzilla is not nearly as valuable. Most collectors only go gaga for Godzilla himself. You'd be lucky to get $20 for Muruchi, sadly. I've seen Godzilla listed for $90, but I don't think he'd sell for that much during a recession and with many Popy reissues on the market.

Funny, I don't remember which monster it was, but when I was young and living in St. Thomas in the 90s, I actually found one of the Godzilla's Gang figures kicking around in Woolworth's. I was mesmerized by the header card because I'd never seen any of the monsters before! I probably thought Nokogirin was just a silly mislabeled Megalon. Shame I didn't get it.