Help me out. Marvel Legends or Marvel Universe?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ORIO, Dec 29, 2009.

?

Legends or Universe?

1. Legends

35.0%
  2. Universe

65.0%
  1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, I used to have a stellar collection of Marvel Legends X-Men figures. At least one version of each character up until the last wave of Hasbro figures (with Cyclops, Danger and Marvel Girl). I had to sell them off last year to pay some bills.

I'm thinking about rebuilding. I only have five right now; Professor X, Rogue (from the box set), Havok, Sunfire and the Sentinel.

But I've been starting to notice the new Marvel Universe line. They have some sweet X-Men never represented in the Legens line such as Jean Grey in her 90's outfit, Warpath and so on.

Should I go for trying to rebuild my Legends X-Men figures or invest in these new Universe figs?

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's the thing... with Hasbro taking most everything Marvel to the Universe scale (movie tie-ins in particular), it's a given that we'll see a LOT more characters and a lot more options at that size - like different costumes to choose from, etc... and there's a new articulation point being introduced in MU this year as well.

While I IMMENSELY prefer the 6" figures, I think we're going to see a TON of product over the next few years (IM2, Thor, Avengers) at the smaller scale. Personally, I'm waiting on a box set of the original Alpha Flight. *crosses fingers*

So I'm voting Universe, based on your question.

3. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno, that price point of 8 bucks for those figures is kinda painful. When older Legends were at retail they were the same price right?

Hmmm. Still. Kind of cool and exciting to see what they'll spit out of that line next. And hell, I still have the ML Sentinel. Some of the ML figures could fit in with that scale.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted Marvel Legends - especially if you're into the Toy Biz versions. While I agree that the Marvel Universe ones are well made and have the potential to see more new characters. The key word is "potential" i.e. they may or may not be released. However, I believe that we may see more of them.

I prefer the Toy Biz series because its has covered almost all the major characters like Wolverine, Professor X, Jean Gray, Magneto etc.

Another reason why I chose the Toy Biz series is because I prefer the 6 inch scale as most of the major action figures such as DC Universe, SOTA (presently no longer a major player), Neca are in that scale. This allows for a certain level of scale consistency among the various figures. I don't wish to spend more money on characters that I already have.

Speaking of money, another drawback for Universe for me is the price point for Marvel Universe is the price point - they are pretty expense IMO.

5. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    Universe. Hasbro is going to focus a lot more on this size for the next few years. They're going to stick with it for a while. On the other hand, I really doubt there's going to be significant numbers of Legends figures coming out over the next few years.

Just look at the new Spider-Man and Iron Man 2 lines. This is the size they're going to focus on going forward.

6. 100% Mackem

100% Mackem Banned

Both !!!

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I voted Universe because it is the future. As far as I am concerned, Marvel Legends is dead. I stopped collecting them when Hasbro took over. Sure some of the figures are nice, but IMO the Toybiz versions were vastly superior and cost less. From what I understand Hasbro is putting all of its resources into the Universe line except for the odd Legends two pack here and there.

BTW I have quite a few Toybiz Marvel Legends I plan on putting on ebay, if there are a few you are looking for shoot me a list and we can work something out. They are all loose but they were only used for display and have been in storage for a few years now. Off the top of my head I know a lot of the X-men ones I have (Magneto, Wolverine, Gambit, Iceman, Storm (White costume and Black costume), Colossus, Apocalypse (regular release and BAF), BAF Sentinel, Beast etc.) I do have a lot more than that though.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say Legends. Though I really don't pay much attention to the figures released by Hasbro (I've picked up the odd character not done by Toy Biz... who, IMPO, was vastly superior). But in all honesty I much prefer the six inch scale for action figures as all the major players (Mattel, Neca, Sota, etc.) and even many Japanese Import Anime figures utilize either the six or seven inch scale. This, to me, allows more display potential and just cool interactions (a lot of people utilize many of these lines together in their comics). Also, frankly I just prefer that scale.

While Universe seems to be the future to which Hasbro is going with their Marvel toys... I don't have to take that ride with them. I have no desire to repurchase a bunch of characters that I already own just to get them in a different scale and I also don't care for the almost $9 price point I see on the Marvel Universe figures either for their scale. Finally, there really aren't a lot of other figures in that scale (besides GI Joe... oh, look, another Hasbro property) and DC IC (which seems to be an after thought for Mattel anyways when it comes to quality) so there's no incentive for me personally to get into these figures. I can wait until Hasbro looses their license to the Marvel stuff. I can't imagine Disney not getting involved in the action figures portion of their newest license eventually. Of course, that doesn't mean that it'll go in a direction I want, but I'm rather happy with what was covered by TB back in the day (the only major exception being a 90's Jean, but even that isn't enough to get me into Universe).

9. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll send ya a PM Bustajesse :) 

Good points everyone is making. At 8 bucks a pop, those figures are expensive. But, may very well be less expensive in the long run for me to buy all of 48 missing X-Men Legends from my collection. And that includes BAFs.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

One thing I do like about the marvel universe figures is that the old Marvel Legends like Apocalypse, Galactus, and Sentinel go perfectly together.

11. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^yeah. Juggernaut (who I will need to pick up again) and Sentinel for sure. I've got one Sentinel and would love to pick up two more.

12. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I like the MU figures, I've always wanted a Deadpool figure, and the Wolverine Origins one was easy to find. They also go well with G.I. Joes.

13. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, here's the list of Marvel Universe figures I would buy if I went this way.

All figures are most recent costumes or best representation thus far of X-Men figures. Please let me know if I'm wrong, or forgetting something.

Marvel Universe Figures
    1. Jean Grey
    2. Warpath (X-men costume)
    3. Sunfire
    4. Magneto (secret wars 2 pack)
    5. Firestar (TRU Exclusive Spidey amazin' friends)

X-Men Origins Wolverine
    1. Deadpool
    2. Gambit
    3. Maverick
    4. Cyclops
    5. Iceman
    6. Blob (deluxe w/ Sabretooth)
    7. Sabretooth (deluxe w/ Blob)
    8. Wolverine (astonishing deluxe w/ colossus)
    9. Colossus (Astonishing deluxe w/ Wolverine)

Firestar technically counts as an X-Man right? I've always thought she should be an active member.

14. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Warpath is only available in X-Force colors to my knowledge. From your list, Warpath, Jean Grey and Deadpool may be hard to get/find. The prices on Warpath online are pretty high and I've seen Deadpool go up for waaaaay too much money.

There's also a TRU two pack with Logan and his motorcycle that comes with Sabertooth, but he has short hair like in the 90's cartoon. The one that comes with Blob has long hair for some reason.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Vision and Warpath have variants. Visions is a clear phasing deco, and Warpath has a red X-men deco.

No she doesn't. She was only ever an X-man in the Spider-man cartoon and the 1 tie-in comic it had. Which are not cannon. In cannon she was a Hellion, the original version of the group.

But the secret wars comic packs are handing out most of an 80's X-men team. You've got brown Wolverine in wave 1, Cyclops in wave 2. Wave 4 has 80's punk Storm and Nightcrawler in a pack together. And runmour is after secret wars Hasbro is doing a series of greatest battles comic packs and one is going to be Collosus vs. Juggernaut.

16. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I'd say Legends if they weren't being handled so badly.

So go with Marvel Universe. It's clearly the way Hasbro wants to go with the property. They just don't want to admit it.

17. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I personally have to go with Legends, still this is for you so i'd say Universe, me though only 3 3/4 i care about are Joes, and i do have a TRU within an hours drive so its not hard to get there and get some ML two packs when i got money and of course my WM stocks the exclusive waves when they hit so theres that also heh.

18. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I've seen Jean and Warpath a bunch of times. Deadpool a lot back in the day. Haven't seen the X-Men uniform variant yet

I shoulda put a winky face after that Firestar comment. I always liked the character in New Warriors and she is a surviving mutant of M-Day. I'd love to see her hook up with the X-Men one day. So if I can find her, and if I go Universe, I'll pick her up.

Read about Storm and Nightcrawler forgot to put them. That's awesome. Love me some mohawk storm. Reminds of when I first started reading X-Men

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

But for a modern X-team I'm building the following

Wolverine: figure undetermined, maybe the deluxe figure pack and buy a clearanced wave 1 Y/B for a masked head
    Cyclops: Wolverine Origins Cyclops
    Iceman: WO Iceman
    Gambit: WO Gambit

For a classic one I'm going to use the secret wars packs. Of which I plan on getting the whole set. And the Spider-man 3 pack for an Iceman.

20. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't seem to find pics of that deluxe two pack with Astonishing Wolvie and Collossus. Any one have pics or a link?

Universe figs are doing well in the poll too.

Hmm.