help me not get screwed over by a bidder/paypal

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by ckhtiger, May 1, 2011.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I sold a crossfire set mid march. a guy from malaysia wins the auction, but doesn't pay, and doesn't respond to my emails asking when to expect payment. I let him know that if I don't hear from him in 5 days, I'll file a non-payment claim with ebay. no response, so I file. I then get this response from him:

Hello I did try few times to pay the payment but it just can't work.May I pay you on Monday.Because I need go Bank n check what is the problem.Sorry about the convinience causes

and then I receive payment the next day. but seriously, "I try a few times to send payment but it doesn't work?" what the hell is that? and does that mean you don't try to send payment another way or at least get in touch with the seller? I send it out 2 days later, via USPS international. now usps doesn't do international tracking, so I don't provide a number, and I don't keep any paperwork. well today I receive an email from paypal saying that he hasn't received it yet, and they have deducted the money for the auction from my account, which is now negative!

so I'm now out a whole bunch of money, which technically is on hold, until they come to a conclusion. I escalated this to a claim since I didn't want to have any communication with this person, as they ignored me before when they wouldn't pay for the item. they also are NO LONGER REGISTERED ON EBAY! I think the guy is definitely up to something, but without proof of shipping it, I don't know if paypal will believe me.

is there anything else I can do? I don't know if I go to the post office if they can find my receipt in their system from 35 days ago. I mean, I work at a grocery store and we can do that. hell, the guy could've even provided me with the wrong shipping address because he's a moron, or just plain old be trying to scam me, as he's got 2 different kinds of shady neutral feedbacks this year. help!

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Sorry man, but you will lose.

The same thing happened to me when a guy in China bought my MIB Roadbuster and claimed he never got it. I don't even want to tell you how much £££ I lost to that scamming $£&*%.

Just learn from this experience and research your shipping options more thoroughly next time and ONLY ever send overseas with tracking. No exceptions.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

ugh. I'm so mad it makes me want to cancel my paypal/ebay accounts. it's like it gives carte blanche to buyers to do this to sellers, and always get their items for free.

4. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay/paypal clearly state that proof of delivery is required for items sent.

The only 100% way to be covered when shipping to Malaysia is to use Express Mail International. Priority Mail International is not always guaranteed, as the customs form might not get scanned in the destination country.

I sell worldwide all the time, and I never get scammed because I always use Express Mail International.

5. -l-AYATOLLAH-l-

-l-AYATOLLAH-l- Well-Known Member

You always need to cover your ass when selling/shipping to anyone via Ebay/Paypal, whether its overseas or right here in the US. Always purchase tracking or delivery confirmation. If you need tracking overseas, send it Registered. It cost an extra $11 but inform your buyers you will not ship with out it, or, send everything priority (even international) and if you purchase the postage online via USPS.com, it instantly includes a delivery confirmation number, which is all you need to have to prove an item was shipped. Most the times priority only cost a little more then standard shipping now days, even internationally.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wait, as in I am required to ship in a manner that provides proof of delivery? in which case I would totally be at fault, which I would be okay with, because I've been selling things w/o confirmation for years.. I had never heard of this policy, could someone show me where it says this?

7. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?...tent_ID=security/seller_protection_learn_more

Hope that helps. Sorry you got the sh*t end of the stick here.....I know how it feels to get scammed. Before I started using paypal, I was using US Postal money orders and such. Ordered something on ebay. Never got the item. Verified that the bastard cashed the money order too! At that time I wasn't aware that I could open a dispute with ebay and all......so I tried to dispute it with the money order company. I only got a fraction of the money back. I filed negative feedback for the seller, but then the jackhole left me negative feedback saying I didn't pay. Yet I have the stub and PAID for the money order company to send me verification that the money order WAS CASHED (by his girlfriend who supposedly was helping him scam shit). A month later, his username was no longer registered for unknown reasons. He started up a new ebay ID.....and his crap was easily identified because that idiot put his contact number in all of his auctions.

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

oooh, so I don't think USPS even provides any of that delivery stuff to international addresses.

9. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wow. You have been one lucky person up til now.

10. Da_Last_2_Walk

Just sending an item with Priority Mail International is not 100% safe, as you can't buy online tracking.

Also, sometimes signature confirmation is required, instead of delivery confirmation.

11. Da_Last_2_Walk

Yes, you must show proof of delivery in the event that a dispute is opened against you for an item not received.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, as I was reading the paypal policies just now, that's what I was thinking. I guess that's why noone seems to sell internationally, and why over half of all of the items I sell go overseas. I'm probably charging way less, because I'm not covering myself, which I didn't even realize I should be doing. I even went so far as to make a map onetime of where items I sold went over a two-month span, including what this case is about. here's the pic, and for reference, I live just outside of boston:

[​IMG]

13. Da_Last_2_Walk

As I stated earlier, the only 100% way to provide online tracking to paypal is buy using Express Mail International. 1st Class Mail International & Priority Mail International do not have tracking that can be purchased. The only way to track online using those services, is to hope that the customs form is scanned by the Post Office in the country that the item is being shipped too.

14. Da_Last_2_Walk

I always sell internationally, as I want everybody's money.

Express Mail International will cost more than Priority Mail International, however, if you are selling items that you can't afford to take a loss on, it's the best way to ship.

At least you know now, and hopefully this will be your only loss.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's unfortunate but the few scammers like this make it not worth the risk of accepting international bids. Good luck but I'm afraid you've already lost.

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks for your info man, I really appreciate it! :thumb  I guess it's just a tough lesson to learn. I was just getting done selling everything I wanted to get rid of, and I was just so happy that everything went well. I'm also really proud of being with ebay for almost 15 years, and having 100% positive feedback.

17. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

Well don't let that one a-hole ruin anything for ya.

18. Da_Last_2_Walk

No problem, I'm glad I could help.

Don't feel too bad, a lot of ebay sellers have had to "learn" the hard way.

It's also good the buyer wasn't able to ruin your feedback.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This man knows what he's talking about.

When I got fucked over, I spoke to Paypal at length over the phone discussing the fine detail of all their policies. Basically, even if you can provide evidence that your parcel arrived following an investigation by the courier company (which I was able to), Paypal won't give two shits because there was no signature by the recipient.

20. Da_Last_2_Walk

Thanks for the support, I appreciate that.