Help me Mix'n'match decepticons

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Taziir, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm looking for suggestions on figures to fill out my classic Decepticon G1 roster with non-G1 figures, while still being great renditions of the character.

Some of my choices so far are not brilliant, often from impulse buys and it's about time I came up with a game plan for which figures to chase.

Current line up is:

Alternity Megatron Silver
    Revoltech Starscream (Alternity Starscream to replace whenever he gets released)
    Masterpiece Skywarp
    Animated Soundwave + Guitar Laserbeak
    Altenator Shockwave
    EZ Collectors Devestator
    Voyager Mixmaster
    G1 Bruticus - possibly swap for Arctic Camo Ruination

Are there better figures to user? Who is missing from this line up and which figure to use?

So far I can think of: Thundercracker, Frenzy/Rumble, Ravage, Astrotrain , Blitzwing, Octane.

I'm interested to hear rare figure suggestions but will add wallet friendly figures to my list ;)  Oh yeah, scale isn't important. I'm not after Insecticons or the camera triplets. Renaming another figure is fine it it's a good fit.

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I don't see where you're going with this. Are you asking which toys are the best representation of each G1 character? If you're trying to shoehorn later lines into a G1 toyline, it's not going to happen, the closest you can get are Classics/Universe (or Henkei) figures, but even then they wouldn't fit in.

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fixed your list :) 

Also, in my display I have Real Gear Zoomout, Wiretap, and Photon as my Reflector Trio.

Edit: What's wrong with the classics Seekers?

4. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, I think my first post was a little to scattered. I'm not specifically looking for just recreations of G1 era figures, more figures that capture some kind of essence of their original counterpart.

I choose Altenator Shockwave as the figure hit alot of right notes for me in it's reinterpretation of the character, although the Energon version is one I'm going to look at closer, ty Orio.

Classics seekers seem ok but I never saw one in real life and felt the figures too blocky in robot mode from photos I've seen.

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Classics/Universe and Heinkei are the way to go and add in add ons and a few A/E/C figures and you have he best G1 esq line up you can get. This is what I come up with:

Megatron = Classics or Heinkei

Starscream = Classics or Heinkei
    Thundercracker = Botcon or Heinkei
    Skywarp = Classics or Heinkei

Soundwave = Music Label

Shockwave = Energon Shockblast

Devestsator = Classics Constructicons
    Mixmaster = Universe 2.0 Heavy Load

Bruticus = ROTF Bruticus or Energon Bruticus Maximus and Fans Project Add On Kits

Astrotrain and Octane = Classic/Universe 2.0 or Heinkei

Rumble/Frenzy = Shadow Commander Target Masters (X2)
    Ratbat = Universe 2.0 or Animated Ratbat
    Ravage = Universe 2.0
    Laserbeak/Buzzsaw = Animated Laserbeak (X2)

Blitwing = ?

6. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    Alternators Rumble, hands down good representation there

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

my Main Decepticon line up is
    Megatron (Classics)
    Starscream (Classics)
    Soundwave (music label)
    Shockwave (Energon Shockblast)
    Skywarp (Classics)
    Thundercracker (Botcon Classics)
    Ramjet (Classics)
    Astrotrain (Classics)
    Thrust (Henkei)
    Dirge (Henkei)
    Bludgeon (ROTF Voyager)
    Mindwipe (ROTF Voyager)
    Barricade (ROTF HA)
    Wreckage (Movie 1)
    Megastorm (Classics 2 pack Tank Megatron)
    Lugnut (Animated)
    Lockdown (ROTF)

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    If scale and price isn't an issue, get MP Starscream and Thundercracker to join Skywarp. Or the Classics Seekers are the next best thing, but again, quite a bit of $$$ to get all three (or six if you want the coneheads as well). I really can't think of any the 'Seeker' mold from the other lines that are good representations of the character. MAYBE the Robotmasters but from what I've seen they barely have more poseability than the G1 toys. Alternity Starscream and Skywarp look awful to me, but if they look good to you then by all means use them as well :) 

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

If by "hands down" you mean "hands gone"..... ;) 

Just kidding... I like Alt Rumble fine, but I can never pass up a pun.

Anyway, if your goal is to fill out your collection with great representations of G1 Decepticons, I think you would do well to consider:

Energon Scorponok - in my opinion a fantastic re-imagining, even improvement, of the original character. Crazy-detailed sculpt, and instead of turning into something ridiculously out-of-scale like a city, he turns into a believable-but-still-cool scorpion-shaped bulldozer. The Cybertron "dark" repaint of him also makes a great Black Zarak.

Ravage - skip the Universe version that came with Hound.... he's even less articulated and cat-shaped than the original G1 figure! Instead, go with the fantastic Device Label USB Ravage, or if scale and alt mode are not an issue for you the Alternators (cat, not Furry-bot) version.

Reflector - as Orio mentioned, the Real Gear figures make great Reflector stand-ins.... especially Photon

Galvatron - arguably the best version of Galvatron is the Energon version. He's huge, much more imposing than teensy Classics Galvatron, and is a nice update of the G1 figure.

Razorclaw - go for the Botcon version. Great coloring, great new head sculpt, and for a Botcon toy he's still obtainable for relatively cheap.

As for a few minor dudes who have been peppered through various lines:

Crankshaft - the 2007 Walmart repaint (of Cybertron Red Alert) is a great mold-repurposing that actually emulates the original Triggercon's spring-loaded weapon feature

Drag Strip - the Special Edition Hasbrotoyshop repaint of Classics Mirage is pretty great

Breakdown - ROTF Scout

Swindle - since you've already mentioned Animated Soundwave, Animated Swindle wouldn't be out of place. While he's a different aesthetic, he's (in my opinion) the best version of the character. That includes the FansProject version, though that one still looks quite nice.

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I have an oversized KO of Robotmasters Wingstun whose size and colour scheme make him a great partner for Acid Storm. Quite hard to get though. I was lucky.

Shame because I want to put him with Titanium War Within Thrust as I can see them being pre-Beast or G1 versions of Waspinator and Terrorsaur.

12. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

If you're mixing in Animated then I'd consider Leader Megatron, Shockwave and Blitzwing. Then the Perfect Effect Rumble and Frenzy. The rest are Henkei.

Classics seekers is like my all time favorite mold due to cartoon accuracy in both bot and alt mode so I gotta disagree about substituting them with anything else. But hey it's your collection