Help me identify this G1 Slag variant?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tfike110, Aug 28, 2012.

1. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    I was browsing around online today and came across a lot that has an interesting Slag variant in it...I tried looking it up, but could not find an answer. Can anyone identify this Slag?

I looks like a Diaclone Slag, but it has red horns??? I thought all Diaclone Slag's had chrome horns? Anyway, let me know...I'm thinking of purchasing this lot just for this item alone. But wanted to get as much info on it as I could.

I pulled the pic off the listing, so this is the best and only pic I could get.

Also, any idea what it is worth??

Attached Files:

2. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

its either a Diaclone slag with g1/g2 horns(other might have broke) or a ko..

3. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep in mind too that the chrome could very well have come completely off. I'm not sure what color the diaclone slag horns were done in, but its possible. There was a lot of KO stuff back in the day, so its tough to tell until you have it in hand. Even if it is a vintage KO (which I would assume over a modern KO, due to the older figures around it) it may still be worth something.

4. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    The Diaclone toy had Takara stamp in the chest compartment underneath Slag's dino lower jaw in robot mode.

5. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I can't find it either. Value the lot as if that was a G2 Slag, don't overpay in case it is actually a KO.

6. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

It's very likely a diaclone slag that's had the horns replaced with g1 horns as a repair or alteration. Think the diaclones had white plastic under the chrome, so it's not likely to have worn off

7. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    Thanks for your responses everyone...i'll ask the seller to send me more detailed pics. Hopefully I can get an idea of what it is before I decide to buy this lot.

The replaced horns theory is what I was thinking as well. So thanks for all of the responses.

8. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a Diaclone slag. His horns were originally much harder plastic than any Hasbro release, and painted shiny chrome... Because the horns are made of hard plastic, they don't give when any pressure is put on them, so they both broke off.

That looks just like my Diaclone slag. I think it is legit, just with G1/G2 slag horns put in.

I will buy silver horns if anyone has some... Real or KO, it doesn't matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    If that Slag pictured by the OP is coming from anywhere in North America, it's likely the vintage "Ancient Animals" knock off (with a TF Slag horns/head replacement) which lacks any copyright info on the figure.