Help me figure out how to get to Botcon!

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by aussiehippy, May 27, 2008.

1. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Hi all, if anyone can help me out by answering any of the questions in this thread it would be much appreciated!

I've always fancied making it out to the US for a Botcon, and I'm thinking about making a play for it next year. Thing is, I don't have a massive amount of disposable income. Now, I've read some threads where non-US peeps have said that they've covered (some or all, can't quite remember) the cost of going by selling the exclusives.

This idea appeals to me because, well, from the past few years, only the Thundercracker toy has held any interest for me, and I would happily sell all the others.

So I guess my questions are:
    1) Roughly what kind of cash outlay is needed to actually get out there from the UK? (Like, Botcon tickets, flights, hotel costs etc)
    2) Is it worth paying the non-US Collectors Club membership to do it?
    3) How much of the outlay can you get back from selling the toys?

I appreciate that I could answer some of this by doing a fair bit of research into prices and stuff on the web, but if there is anyone else from the UK that has done this before and could give me a few rough pointers, to help me decide if it's feasible to have a crack at, it would be much much appreciated!

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    have you considered prostitution?

if you havent, well, then you arent really trying.

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I'd ask Draven. He comes to Botcon every year and he lives in the UK. He should know better than anyone the costs of travel and whatnot.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I booked my flights early this year, pretty much as soon as the dates were announced; the flights cost me £175 through www.expedia.co.uk. Shop around, there are some bargains to be had. Botcon Prereg itself is around $300 for non-members; hotel rooms vary. This year I stayed at the Ramada and it was pretty cheap. However, the place was a dump. next year, I'll be staying at the hotel the convention is attached to; apart from anything else, you get a better quality of after-con fun staying where most of the convention goers are ;) 
    Yes. When you consider that international membership to the club is an extra $49, you'd only save $1 by joining the club anyway.
    Depending on how well the exclusives sell, you can make a very large amount of your money back. Tricky Disco sells her exclusives every year, I believe; she usually offsets a large chunk of her expenses doing so. The attendee-only exclusive normally sells well too, if you decide you don't want it, and the show exclusives always seem to go well.
    Hope that helps d00d. Any other questions, let me know; I'm happy to help.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Roommates are key as well, for anyone trying to do it cheap.

Our room was a little cheaper than the convention rate at the main hotel, and with seven of us in there, we only paid about $30 each. For the whole weekend. And it's no big deal squeezing in there--you practically don't do anything in the room but shower and change anyways.

6. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Thanks for the advice guys, I think that's decided it for me.

It was mainly the cost of travelling there that I was unsure about, but if flights can be had for what Draven paid, then I think it's entirely feasible!

I think the chance of me wanting to sell the various exclusives would be quite high, like I say only one from the last few years has interested me as something I would want to keep. I'd mainly want to go for the panels, events and to buy some G1 stuff at the dealers. And also to meet some of the peeps here in person!

My next step is to see if my girlfriend fancies it. I reckon she might...

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The key to selling the exclusives and turning a decent profit is to have them posted within 24 - 36 hours of picking them up at the convention. That worked wonders for my GF who sold her set and turned quite a nice profit, esp considering what they're going for now.

For the most part it seems the price of the exclusives drop off by the Monday after the convention. The 2007 set seems to be the only one that's gone up since the convention.

8. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    I haven't managed to sell my set of loose (but still bagged) figures yet.

9. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

As a ballpark figure, flight from Canberra plus BotCon hotel accommodation cost me roughly three grand when I did it five years ago. That was excluding daily expenses, and I got the absolute cheapest all-days registration (no exclusive events, no toys etc). I didn't rent a car or have any additional major expenses while I was there, either.

In other words, it's about the cost of buying a Deluxe figure (in the US) every single day for a year just to walk in the door of the hotel. Actual BotCon attendance is extra.

10. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Yes, but you were extremely lucky finding that deal, you bastard. :p  I'll have to use some of your flight-sleuthin' for next year! ;) 

Well, Last year I had no choice :(  This year I wasn't that impressed by the set, so Tony sold it for me at the TFW2005 table. Twice. :lol 

Oh DEFINITELY. Plus it's always more fun when you're rooming with some good people! :)  I think Myself, Kickback and Deefuzz pretty much have a lifetime subscription as roommates by now :lol  and we always try to get a couple of extras in. ;) 

I've actually never calculated how much BotCon sets me back each year, but trust me: It's worth it. :) 

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is proving a useful thread as I wouldn't mind doing Botcon next year, but was unsure how much it would cost. If I can get roomies, and flights comparable to what Draven paid, I'm in.