Help me decide...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I am converting an extra bedroom into my collection room. I need to paint it for two reasons. One, I don't like the color it is now. It was a baby blue when I bought the house. Looks like a room for a baby boy. Two, there was a small hole in the wall behind the door from the door knob. I've repaired the hole, but now there is a white spot there. You really can't exact match paint well enough to just paint that spot and it blend in. So I have to at least paint one whole wall. Since I don't like the current color, I might as well buy a gallon of some other color and paint the whole room.

What color should I paint the room? It has hardwood floors, and the doors, trim, and ceiling are white. I'm gonna leave all that as is. What color do you think would look good for a collection room that would not clash with the white or brown on the trim and floor?

Attached Files:

2. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Number the walls 1-4. Walls 1 and 3 are Autobot Red, 2 and 4 are Decepticon Purple.

I'd say you have a pretty basic/typical color scheme on the trim and floors, so you could probably just pick a color you like and go with that. I don't know if there's a 'better' one for a collection room, but if it's your space, make it whatever looks appealing to you!

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have any photos?

4. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I don't think purple and red would look all that good together in a room. I could just pick a color, but I really don't have a preference. I was hoping you guys could tell me what color you think would look good if you were to walk into my room. What color would make it look classy?

5. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I say pink. :)  Suits you better.

6. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Joking about the red and purple ;) 

My personal preference is towards green or a darker blue (not baby). That's what I usually like to see. Pics would probably help a bunch ^_^

7. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably stick with a neutral. An off white/beige/tan would probably be best. Might want to go a little more towards the tan side (darker) for contrast with the white trim.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Dark colors will make thev room look smaller.

Go with eggshell, off white, lite grey.very lite blue

9. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    If the room gets a nice amount of light, I would think that a red wine or a burgandy color would looks nice. If the room doesn't get alot of natural light, I would go with an eggshell tan or a light earth tone.

10. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Seriously, I'd go with darker earth tones. Reflects less light, so when light does come in the window, the muted colors may help reduce the risk of yellowing on your figures.

11. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Updated the first post with pics. One is the hall just outside the room. As you can see, I have a neutral tan color there, and through out most of the rest of the house. So I'd like to avoid just making it blend in.

Maybe a nice wine color? Kinda redish purple? Anybody think that might look good?

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

What kind of shelving do you use for displaying your Transformers.It might make a difference in what color looks best.The best bet would probably be going with a lighter color though.

13. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I have a whole bunch like that corner shelf in the hall picture I posted.

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

This is a question you'll have to answer on your own really. We can only give suggestions, but since everybody sees color differently, and everybody has different tastes, it's really hard to say "THIS" color will work or "THAT" color will be better. With that wooden floor, I'd go with sandy, Earth-tone colors. Maybe a medium foresty green? Beige? Sage-green?
    Seen advertised this new paint that is both primer and paint and covers old paint well. I'd try that and see what colors you like. Paint only one wall, if it pleases you, complete the room. If not, at least you only have one wall to re-redo.

No matter what you decide, please post pictures of the progress! :) 

15. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I'm thinking more earth tones now also,to go along with the wood floors and your display cases,but I'm no interior designer.

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Or how about the gray that's on these boards?

17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you going to be spending a good amount of time in the room? Do you plan to put, say, a table and chair in there? I don't see any windows in the picture, so figure yellowing from a natural light source wouldn't be a major concern, which makes me lean toward a lighter color for the walls. A light beige or tan would probably go best with the floor.

18. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    There is a window in there. It's got a set of blinds, and they're closed. I want to buy curtains too to keep the sunlight to a minimum to help prevent yellowing. Don't plan to spend a whole lot of time in there. It's mostly just gonna be a collection room. I'll go in whenever I get a new figure and tire of fiddling with it, or to show the room to other people.

And Marcatron, suggestions are all I'm looking for. As soon as a suggestion jumps out at me, that's what I'm gonna go with. So far I'm leaning towards Peanut04's suggestion of red wine.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is just me, but if i could decorate a TF room, I would paint my walls either a deep gray or a subtle brown.
    (it is easier on my eyes instead of white or a dark dark solid.)

I have in the large poster frames an Autobot faction shield and a Decepticon shield which i would mount between wall shelves.

basically, a clean, uncluttered look as a foundation is where i'd start. the toys will do the cluttering for ya in no time. good luck and keep us updated.

20. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Paint the walls dark blue with white spots to simulate outer space in the G1 cartoon. Then, use all metal shelves for your collection. Instant Cybertron.