Help me decide: When selling a line....?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Jun 24, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    So basically, I am right now in the process of clearing and consolidating my Transformers collection. There are lots of lines that I collected when I was younger, that, no longer holds complete appeal to me, and due to space issues, I gotta let things go.

So I am cleaning lines like A/C/E/RiD/BW/TFTM/ROTF/animated, and I am trying to figure out whether I should hold on to the best of the best molds of each line, or just sell the entire line and be done with it.

For example, Beast wars, some of which I want to keep are like, Optimal Optimus, Tigerhawk, T2 Megatron. Or like, Armada's Overload-Jetfire-Optimus combo.

So I guess I wanted to know, when you decided to sell off and consolidate, do you keep a few from lines you are giving up? or you just let it all go, and why. I suppose some holds sentimental value, like, Armada Demolisher and Energon Omega Sentinel were gifts from my sister when she didn't even have an income. So yeah, I am just... kinda torn.

Disclaimer: because I know someone is going to read the title and reply impulsively about this:

I just want to hear your opinions. I am torn between 2 sides, and hence why I am asking it. So please don't give me a "its your collection, do what you want!"

I understand that. Just want to hear what other people's rationale is, because i am right at the borderline btwn two.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'd recommend that you go over each line and determine which figures you still like that you'd want to keep, set them aside, and then sell/trade off whatever is left over that you no longer like.

For example, I sold off all of my Movie 1 toys with the exception of Leader Brawl, because I liked him the best.

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    It depends on if your going to display them or not. If your not displaying them, get rid of them.

However, to confuse you a bit on your decision, I personally like having 1 figure from each line going back to the begining. It shows a nice evolution on how these little guys transform. It's kinda like a history book but in toy form.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yeah, I kinda thought about it. Originally as I was cleaning up, that's what I was doing, like for Cybertron, I saved:

Wing Saber
    Optimus
    CD Team
    Vector Prime
    Giant three

But then, I was just thinking, well, would they eventually be sold off? For example, quick-mix isn't "too great" a mold, but he looks nice, yet he is kinda borderline of "to sell or not to sell" type of thinking for me, urgh, this feeling is pretty tough.

@ Alucard: lol damn you confusing me more! Anyways, none of my robot collection is stored... they are all displayed. I ran out of display space, hence why I am getting rid of lines, so yeah, the remainder will always be displayed; its just I was thinking "well, if I keep them here, is it just delaying it til the next round before I sell these off?" type of thinking that got me troubled a bit.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Turn your collection in to a new tf continuity like Abrogate has.

If i wasn't the almost completist guy i'd do that.

6. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well if you are already thinking of selling them, then just sell them. No point in hanging onto them knowing you will eventually sell them.

If you like my idea about having 1 figure from each collection, then keep only one character. So you can for instance keep Optimus and show his evolution through all the lines all the way through MP.

Kinda like the evolution chart. :D 

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Make two piles: definitely sell, and maybe sell. List the definitely sell pile right away and wait two weeks on the maybes. Think about the maybes, if you'd miss the toy or if it had sentimental value or whatever.

Then two weeks later, split the maybes into sell and keep piles. Add the sell pile to your sales thread and cherish the remainder. :) 

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not the best to ask this as I don't sell things on so much.

But I'd suggest you decide what is important to you or not important and proceed on that basis.

I.e. if you love BEAST WARS keep the show characters and sell the non show ones.

Id you decide to sell any of your Energon/ Cybertron / Universe / Armada toys I've got a few gaps to fill still ;

Checkpoint & Prowl (Energon moulds)
    Quickstrike (red helicopter)
    Energon Beachcomber
    Energon Shockblast
    Cybertron/ Universe Cannonball
    Plx Cyclonus (green helicopter)
    Various Minicons/Micron including Japanese Micron Booster & DVD Microns, and the Walmart Tiny tin ones that came packed with Deluxes.
    Also always interested in EZ series toys in general.

I'm also interested in Energon / Superlink Autobots in general and accessories that are loose like weapons and chips though not looking to pay a premium price on many of them though as I already have them once but am looking to try to get two of each eventually for Photographing and display variety it provides.

I'm not interested in anything that'd been modified or extensively repainted though.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    interesting rule, I might just do that.

I think Iwill keep the primes of each era as Alucard suggested; I always liked to keep them anyways, they... are somehow special, I dunno why.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Since you say you're doing this solely to trim your collection rather than for needing money or anything like that, figure out what you can do without. If you find that once you've gotten rid of those you can do without the others, then start putting those up for sale.

Make it a gradual thing, instead of fighting with yourself over what you think is some big decision. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I have recently sold off all my Masterpieces...except Grimlock. That guy is just too much of a BAMF. Prime and Megs are too big (and Megs is too fragile and loose), the seekers have shit hip kibble and no affordable Thundercracker, and Rodimus got sold before being opened due to my sheer terror and paranoia that I would break him first time I tried to transform him.

But Grimlock IS the King!

12. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Foster had the best advice. It's what I did when I had to get rid of almost all of my collection 4 years ago. It's what I'll probably be doing to pare down some "fringe" purchases I've made over the past year now as well

13. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I've done the "Definitely Sell/Maybe Sell" piles and I will say that works wonders :) .

I'm of the belief that every line has a gem or three, so I wouldn't suggest blindly axing all of them. Figure out your personal favorites in the different lines you want to sell, figure out which ones you could go either way on, and lastly a pile of "please get this out of here now."

I didn't really want to sell some figures that I've had since I was a kid, mostly because they hold a sentimental value (Cybertron Runamuck will stay with me forever, regardless of how crappy a toy he is :D ). Find the sentimental ones, fine the ones you think are good toys, and abandon the rest.

14. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

I have spent the last 3 years selling off my TF collection. I once had over 735 figures in 8 different lines. (BW, RID, A/E/C, Alts, MP, Classics 1.0 & 2.0, Machine Wars and G1. I have sold eveything leaving just my G1, Machine Wars and Classics (or CHUGURTS?) leaving me down to only just over 200 figures.

I started out selling off to reduce my collection having run out of space. I eventually had to due to my wife being unemployed. And now due to my wife divorcing me. When I chose to start selling I handled it like this;

- Started selling the figures I could REALLY do without
    - Sold the remaining line I could do without.
    - Sold off one line after the other based on what lines (that I still had) that I liked the least.

Going thru this process due to downsizing, then financial difficulties, and now financial desperation has left me with the collection I now have that I absolutely would be devastated and crushed if I had to let go of any parts of it. I love my Classics, G1 and Machine Wars TF's.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I kept some of my favorites. After awhile though once you start selling things, you will be amazed by how much you actually end up letting go. The only AEC toy I have left is Galvatron (I had almost all of them at one point), and I know his days are numbered.

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Thats some good advice there. I do this oftn when I'm ready to unload a bunch of stuff.

For me, I almost always rather just get rid of the whole line though. I cant stand having randoms around.

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:bowdown: 

Props sir. Must have been a difficult process to endure but hopefully you came out on the other side the better for it.

18. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going through the same thing right now, as I'm looking at selling off a good chunk of my collection several months from now. As a general rule, I'll sell a MISB figure over a loose figure because it's worth more and because I've played with the loose figure, so I have a greater attachment to it.

But deciding factors are often the rarity/scarcity of the mold, and how many of the mold I own. This often overrides factors like whether it's MISB or loose. For example, Alternators. Most of what I have are MISB. But I'm reluctant to part with them because I know Hasbro will never sell the molds again. And at the moment, most of them are not worth that much. If I could get $100+ for each one, well, that might affect my decision.

For another example, I sold my Classics Optimus Prime because I own the Botcon 2008 set with Shattered Glass Prime that uses the same mold. At the time, I didn't see the need to own Classics Prime, and he was worth decent money, so I sold him. (Actually I kind of regret it now, because he was Prime [I hadn't taken superior character representation into account], so maybe that's a bad example.)

Then, of course, there are completely negating factors like the irrational desire to own every release of a particular mold. This factor is completely random and unexplainable. I have a burning desire to own Cybertron Dark Scorponok because I have Energon Scorponok and Botcon Double Punch. Yet I had no problem selling Beast Machines Obsidian and RID Obsidian despite the fact I also owned Universe Obsidian, completing the set of that mold. :crazy:  Might it have had something to do with the fact that RID Obsidian was MOSC, while the others were loose? Maybe. Typically I don't open sealed figures after a certain amount of time has passed, unless the figure has absolutely zero secondary market value.

I'm sure I could come up with some complex mathematical equation to explain all of this, but some things are probably better left alone.

Let me just say that I get where you're coming from, being torn over whether to sell off an entire line or keep your favorites, and though at one time I'd've said sell the whole thing or keep the whole thing, I now say keep your favorites. In my opinion, owning an entire line, while visually cool and certainly admirable if you have the space and the money, is an OCD/completist mentality and it's one I'm personally fighting against right now. All of the lines have standouts and stinkers, and if I needed the money and/or the space, I'd regret selling great figures just because they were in a line I'd decided to axe.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ^^ Signatures like this make my day.

20. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm in the process of doing this myself. First time I'm really digging deep and making some sacrifices to benefit my family.

I think I've decided to focus my collection on G1/G2 and the modern updates such as Classics/Generations. I may keep Animated too since it's a rather small line. Everything else is basically on the chopping block. This includes some rare Japanese stuff, Botcon exclusives and the like. There may be a few stragglers from random lines I decide to keep, but I have to draw the line somewhere or I'll start not wanting to sell things.