Help me carry 50 lbs! Need ideas.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Okay so here is the story.

I have 3 bags of grain, 50 lbs each. I have to get them approx 500 ft to the barn from the front gate. Usually I throw them into the wheelbarrow and it's okie dokie.

Problem! I have about a foot and a half of snow. So how will I do this?

Facts :

I have not a single person to help me carry them.

I can't lift the bags above my knees.

The snow is about up to my knees

This morning we had an icy rain, snow the snow is kind of slushy.

I was thinking of putting the grain bag into a garbage bag and trying to drag/slide it to the barn. But it might sink.

I was also thinking of throwing a bag onto the horses back, but how would I get it up there and keep it from sliding off?

Other ideas that won't work-

Putting the bags on a sleigh/sled or garbage can cover and dragging them. Problem I don't have a sled, and the if the garbage can cover cracks, I would be in huge trouble.

Wait for the snow to melt.... been waiting since the day after Christmas, every time the snow melts a little we have another storm. There has been literally no chance since our first storm, the 26th.

Keep the grain in the garage and just bring a bucket of it to the barn. If I kept anything of mine in anything that was my father's besides the stuff in my room it would be thrown into the street. I'm lucky he lets me keep food in the fridge, no joke.

Any other ideas welcome?

Problem solved!

But do feel free to throw out other ideas in case the method does not work next time. You might know that feeling? You think you got this great method for getting something done only to find out it won't work a second time.

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

What about a back pack? You can put the bag into backpack and use something like a ladder to slowly get the bag high enough to put on. Or try using a sheet of cardboard to slide the bags over the snow.

Chuck

3. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't think I have a backpack big enough, the bags are pretty big plus it would be hard to walk in the snow.

The cardboard might work because I can make holes and tie ropes to pull! cardboard sleigh, thanks! I'm going to go try it.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    plastic sled?

5. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh, I meant sled when I said sleigh in the first post. I'll fix that. Yeah I don't have one :( 

6. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly what I was going to say, just load a bag onto to a child's sled since you can't how about the lid of a hamper?

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Laundry basket, yeah, good idea too.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

This is where a pack mule would really come in handy. If you happen to have a large metal drum, the kind they put oil in, you could slide the bags in and roll them there. The drum would be big enough not to sink. Same goes for a large trash can, but most of them are kind of squared these days, and even if not, you'd have to compensate for the uneven edges.

But, this is what I'd do (well, if I couldn't lift 50 lbs). Get some rope, which surely you have, and simply tie a carrying harness around each bag. Make the length of the handle just long enough that when you lift it, it comes about 8 inches up off the ground. Then just make the physical effort to trudge it out there one or two bags at a time.

9. One

One Well-Known Member

If you got something to tie the bag to the horse and if the horse has a saddle maybe (yes I know its far fetched) the horse could drag the bag?

10. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I'm gonna go with this one. Lash them behind the horse. 150lbs to any adult horse is pretty light.

- Coeloptera

11. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

You might could just use a garbage can. Turn the can on its side, push the bag into it and just drag it that way.

12. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I think the larger question is: what's up with your relationship with your dad that you don't think he'd let you keep it in the garage for a few months.

13. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I used the cardboard sled idea, I actually found the perfect thing in the recycling bin. It worked for half the way, the other half I was able to drag it with the garbage alone (thick black outdoor garbage bag). I thought for sure it would sink but it didn't!

1 bag down and I'm exhausted already. I can try with the other 2 tomorrow, as long as he food for tonight.

The plastic laundry bin sound like a good idea, but I can imagine it would get messy and I wouldn't want to do that to my mom's laundry basket :lol . I don't have one of my own since my room is in the basement with the laundry machines.

Thanks everyone. :D 

He's just a tyrant. Really of no concern, I didn't ask for him to be my father, but sometimes we have to make the best of things we simply can't change. But hell he pays for my horse and my food, and my car insurance, and the gas in my car, he's just very territorial I think, too much primal brain.

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Buy me beer and I'll do it.

15. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Trash can lid?

16. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Is that how you get the ladies to buy you drinks? ;) 

17. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't ask that question to be mean in any way. It's sad that that is your situation.

18. Nimbletongue

Nimbletongue Well-Known Member

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"
    Paint your home address on the barn, but add 1/2 at the end. Then mail it to the barn with usps flat rate shipping thingy.

"With Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes and Envelopes, if it fits, it ships® anywhere in the ... *For mailable items up to 70 lbs. Visit USPS.com® for details. ..."

If i remember right they will even come pick it up for you.

Going Forward in Reverse
    How about pulling the wheelbarrow instead of pushing it?

If it would be to slushie even to pull, TRANSFORM the wheelbarrow it to winter mode. [​IMG]

The FORCE?

Divide and Conquer
    Dump 25 lbs in a garbage bag and make 2 trips? (don't know much about grain, like if it will spoil if opened or stuff like that)

Helium balloons:
    At standard conditions:

22.4 Liters of air weighs approximately 29 grams
    22.4 Liters of helium weighs 4 grams
    29 grams - 4 grams = 25 grams

That means that each 22.4 Liters of helium provides a buoyant force of 25 grams. 22.4 Liters / 25 grams = 0.896 Liters/gram

There are 454 grams in 1 pound
    454 grams/pound x 0.896 Liters/gram = 407 Liters/pound

If you hook 407 1-Liter helium balloons to the 1-pound object, it would neither sink nor float. To lift the weight, you'd need "more than 407 1-Liter balloons".

This presumes that the weight of the balloons is figured into the 1 pound. If not, you'll need to find the weight of the 407+ empty balloons.

You would only need 20,350+ balloons.

If all else fails try steroids.

19. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    That's my one weakness :lol 

20. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Shovel a path?