help me brainstorm a use for Decepticharge

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Abrogate, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The Alternators is my favorite toyline, and I really liked where the Binaltech storyline was going before it ended so abruptly. I've been making my own continuation of that storyline, making edits to some things that I saw little use for in the original. I never bought Binaltechs, or reprolabels, and I dont make kitbashes or anything like that. I only buy the American Alternators, and as such, I like to try and keep my story within the constraints of its characters and the order they came out in, with a few exceptions.

This is the story I have so far:

- Swindle makes Cosmic Rust which critically damages most of the Earth-stationed Autobots. Smokescreen, Sideswipe, Hound, Bluestreak, Tracks, and Overdrive are all sent to receive Binaltech bodies (Overdrive takes longer to finish, though)

- Due to a conspiracy, Dead End and Swindle are made to infiltrate the BT project, taking the bodies meant for Sunstreaker and Trailbreaker. The Autobots only barely manage to drive them out.

- Jazz and Grimlock are sent as reinforcements. Jazz primarily to find the conspirators, and Grimlock primarily for offensive back-up.

- Ravage is created in secrecy, and begins his genocidal plan to help the Decepticons win. After initiating his plan, he begins setting about building a BT body for Shockwave so he can lead what's left of the Decepticons.

- Overdrive's BT body is finished. With his experience as an Omnibot, he is able to determine if the time stream has tampered with. Thus, he understands what has happened to the Decepticons, but does not know who is behind it. He sends out a request for a team of scientists to help him investigate. Wheeljack, Swerve, Prowl, and Skids. The time taken for each of their BT bodies to finish varies.

(Decepticharge is created sometime before Prowl and after Wheeljack are built)

- The decision is made to rebuild Sunstreaker and Trailbreaker's bodies for reinforcements. Trailbreaker, true to his G1 tech spec, feels he would be a burden, and proposes Rollbar be built instead.

- Unicron is spotted on a path to Cybertron, making the reason for Ravage's plan become clear. Optimus Prime begins a mission to head him off. Wheeljack and Overdrive begin developing a new BT body for Optimus in case his mission turns out badly. Overdrive, annoyed that he still hasnt determined just who it was that tampered with history, sends for his Omnibot partner Camshaft, who in turn suggests recruiting Ricochet and Mirage. BT bodies for them begin preparation.

- Wheeljack and Overdrive begin experimenting with creating artificial personalities. This is observed in secret by Ravage, who reports to Shockave. All of the schematics they make on both the personality creation and on Optimus' BT body are recorded and recreated to make an evil Prime, Nemesis. Wheeljack responds by taking the Prime BT and giving it an artificial personality which is a duplicate of Prime's own, code-naming it Ginrai after a human scientist he befriended.

And that takes care of the 24 Alternators who have so far been released.

Now, I want to figure out how to implement Decepticharge into this story at the point in which he was released (around the same time as Swerve).

Most people are content to use Decepticharge as Drag Strip, but that doesnt satisfy me. I figure since fan fic writers make new characters all the time, you guys could help me think of what to do with him as a new guy.

So far I dont have much to work with. In G1, characters' personalities were often based on their own names (for instance, Skids, Swerve, Wildrider, and Brakedown were all terrible drivers). The prefix Decepti means he's probably very loyal to the Decepticon cause. The suffix Charge means he probably moves very fast and is impulsive. These traits, combined with the fact that his color is possibly a reference to G2 Wildrider, make it easy to give him the stats and weapons of Wildrider.

And that's a good place to start, as far as his use as a soldier goes. But where do I go from there? I mean, what should his specific personality be? Is he a completely new character built from scratch by Ravage and Shockwave, or is he a Decepticon soldier who has been a benchwarmer until now? Why was he brought into the Alternator universe at the time that he was? These are things that I cant decide on my own, and I'm hoping others have maybe thought of this before and can give me some thoughts.

I dont really expect to get many replies on this, but I'll appreciate anyone who takes the time to help out.

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he works well as wildrider. maybe have him as a kind of kamikazie trooper with anti gravity generator in his gun. decepticharge could be worked in as an alias as the autobots are not familiar with who this could be and before they work out he's wildrider it could be too late to act.

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Maybe Sideswipe becomes wise to Dead End in Sunstreaker's body. The real Sunstreaker is revived in his new Alt body, learns what happened, goes apeslag on Dead End (maybe with help from Sides and Grimlock) and Dead End is so badly injured he needs a new body again and gets reborn as Decepticharge. Maybe Ravage gets damaged in the same battle too that would result in his switch from Corvette to Jaguar.

4. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I want to have all the Alts in play at the same time, so having Dead End switch bodies wouldnt do. Similarly, I already have a use for the Jaguar (Howlback).

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If you dont really want Decepticharge being Dragstrip, perhaps a non-G1 Character instead, one left on Earth after the Decepticons cleared out (similar to how Shockwave was left on Cybertron in G1), and caught in the cosmic-rust. Perhaps one of the Micromasters, Detour or Motorhead perhaps?
    That, or come up with a new Character, perhaps using Alt Nemesis Prime's backstory with some alterations, Perhaps have the good Doctor trying to Clone Overdrive, but the Decepticons interfere and alter his body.

6. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I did have an idea about connecting him to Nemesis Prime (them both being artificially made), with the exception that it's Windcharger they interfere with rather than Overdrive. In fact that's the story I've been going with, but it sort of seems like a cop out. "Overdrive attempts to bring Windcharger to the BT project cos he wants his magnetic abilities. Decepticons interfere for no apparent reason and a bot who acts a lot like Wildrider is made." I mean it works, but it's so simple, and I want to see if I can make something more interesting.

Actually, your idea of him being a Decepticon who was already on Earth, and then manages to get himself caught in the cosmic rust by chance appeals to me. It kind of reminds me of Evac from Cybertron (mind you, I didnt watch the Cybertron cartoon, but I was of the understanding that Evac and Crosswise were ancient "monster hunters" who were hidden on Earth before the other Autobots came). I also had an idea of him being an agent of an outside force, perhaps the Liege Maximo, and I could work that into him being a wanderer. He's been roaming the Earth looking for the Ark ever since it crashed, but by the time he finds it, the Cybertronians already woke up, thus he cant assassinate them in their sleep (or whatever else he might want to do). He bides his time for 20 years and then finds out about this BT project. Having been a part of Earth history for so long, he wants in.

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Since he shares traits with both Wildrider and Drag Strip, you could make him literally a combination of the two. Sort of like what (if I remember correctly) Redline on these boards did with his fan character. Some calamity could have befallen the Stunticons, something so dire it shattered the sparks of Wildrider and Drag Strip... leaving just enough to piece back together into one functional robot. He would be a [perhaps fractured and imperfect] combination of the two personalities... possibly even a split personality. But he would be different enough from his source robots to need a new name.

The name "Decepticharge" sounds somewhat generic, so maybe it could be more of a "label" than a name. The other Decepticons could be leery of him, since after all he would be sort of a "zombie" character: not quite alive and whole, but not dead either. So they could assign him that generic name rather than give him a proper name. I like your idea of him being a kamikaze trooper of some sort. It fits the "-charge" part of the name, and the other Decepticons would probably think suicide attacks were a perfect use for the pitiful creature. You could even tie it in with his famously "neutered" weapon.... the other Decepticons wouldn't trust him with a high-powered rifle, but they'd at least allow him a stun-gun for up-close combat. But lacking the skill and fine motor control required for fighting with firearms, his main weapons would be his fists and feet.

Anyhoo, take it or leave it, just some more ideas to toss into the mix. :) 

8. Abrogate

News Credits:
    well, at one point I was thinking of making him a mix of characters. Personally, I dont see him as Drag Strip. I know he's yellow and all, but G2 Wildrider is an even better match. Plus, I dont really want to use Drag Strip's personality. I was going to have him be a mix between Wildrider and Windcharger. Say Overdrive was building a BT body for Windcharger, but then due to Ravage messing with the time stream, a distortion occurred fusing an alternate reality version of Wildrider (the G2) with Windcharger. But I didnt like this road because it meant that, even if he was an alternate reality character, he was still Wildrider at heart, and not a new guy.

Personally, I've taken Dirge's suggestion and ran with it. I havent worked out the exact details yet, but I've got it to a point that I'm happy with. Basically, he arrived on Earth independent of the Ark. He came from a different generation than the Cybertronians who were on the Ark, and as such he acts slightly differently, a bit more archaicly (his name sounding so generic is also an archaic practice). He got mixed up with the other Cybertronians during Swindle's Cosmic Rust attack on the Autobots, and was so embarrassed by it that he fled the scene before anyone noticed. However, several months later, he seeks out the BT Decepticons hoping they can cure him, and they agree to get him a BT body (most likely a stolen one that was being made for Windcharger).

There's only a few details I still need to work out. Do I want him to be on Earth before the Ark hit, or after? If it's before, then that would explain why he acts so old-fashioned, and it could basically be explained that he was on an energy-scouting mission before the Autobots went on their own with the Ark, but he got stranded. If he comes after the Ark, then it could be explained that he was looking for the Ark. If that's the case, then he failed spectacularly, cos he didnt find it until after its tenants already woke up. He felt secrecy was important to his mission, so he didnt confront them (until he accidentally got hit with the cosmic rust. This event happened due to his impulsive "Charge!" personality). Now, if he came after the Ark, the question is why was he looking for it? Was he simply trying to rescue Megatron, or he was from a different faction, seeking to assassinate the legends Prime and Megatron?

I dont think I'm going to go with the assassination plot, because I want him to be loyal to the Decepticons, but I may toy with it. For now, I'm content. Thanks for the help guys :) 

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Sounds like you've got some cool ideas all your own. I look forward to reading your fanfic.

10. Falcadore

Falcadore Touring Car Autobot

Maybe something goes badly wrong with Drag Strip's revival and the Decepticons decide a cure might be to chuck another spark into the same bot, invent your own technical reason, so we then have Wild Strip, which sounds too much like a hooker's stage name, or Drag Rider, which sounds.... I don't want to make a suggestion there as I'm sure to get banned. The result twin-sparked bot might not have any of the characteristics of Wildrider, Drag Strip, or Menasor for that matter, and might effectively become a new personality. He could then pick up some cool side effects, his voice might sound like two voices speaking at once, he might become bipolar or develop multiple personality disorder.

When I created my Decepticharge, the blank sheet to begin with was tremendously liberating, allowing me to intertwine Bumblebee's death with a frame left unused by grief stricken Autobot spark transplanters, then have two frames stolen and use a blood lust crazed Sideswipe to cover up the evidence with his rampage.

Similarly it has been liberating with Nemesis Prime and I have his back story well sorted. Who knows, perhaps I'm not done with D-Charge just yet...

Oh by the way - Im back into the swing writing my version of the Alts after somewhat of a health crisis created a massive writers block.