Help! Masterpiece question : Takara or Hasbro ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Greenspan, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    Hi! I know this must have been answered before but I'd like to buy a Masterpiece Grimlock and Rodimus and I would like to know which are the best.

Rodimus : I don't really need the trailer so I guess the Hasbro version would be the logical choice but I have heard Rodimus has some loose knees issues ? Or is it something else ? So I was wondering if the Hasbro version has any issues like that.

Grimlock : Is the Hasbro version ok in terms of quality ? Better or the same has Takara ?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Godspeed
    -Greenspan

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it were me, I'd go with Hasbro Rodimus and Takara Grimlock.

Not sure if Hasbro Rodimus has bad knees. All I know is that the first version of the Takara Rodimus had tons of design issues, while the Hasbro one and Takara version 2 were mostly okay. As for Grimlock I just like the Takara deco better.

EDIT: scratch the Grimlock stuff, I just researched and they look practically the same. I think I was thinking about King Grimlock rather than Hasbro Grimlock. I'd get the Hasbro one then; probably cheaper.

3. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For Rodimus, the Takara version 1 is bad in QC for most people so not him. Not sure about V2 but you don't want a trailer, right? I guess the Hasbro version but I've heard of legs breaking off right out of the package.

For Grimlock, get the Hasbro version. It manages to stay the same quality as the Takara one but has less yet more useful accesories that aren't silly and can be a little cheap. I would've gotten the Hasbro version instead of the Takara one if only I was in the game back in 2010.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I have a Hasbro Rodimus and it has no QC issues. I did read though that a couple of them came with a broken shoulder (or was it elbow?), but it apparently it happened either right out of the box or not at all. It comes with a neato Offshoot targetmaster too, so if you don't want the trailer definitely go for the Hasbro version. It's a somewhat quirky figure but worth it.

As gor Grimlock either version is great, go for whichever you can find cheaper.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check the TFW reviews BEFORE buying anything; I own both Rodimus Primes and I see a difference but you could get a SMOKING deal on V1. If you really don't want the trailer, throw it up on ebay and make yourself 100 bucks:2c: . I'm just not a fan of the Hasbro colors, just seems off in my opinion

As for Grimlock, pick the figure with the accessories you enjoy because the Takara and Hasbro versions are priced pretty evenly nowadays.

In my opinion however, I like the bow tie, tray, intelligence transfer helmet, and apron thank you very much.

:) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    takara rodimus doesn't have the pathetic excuses for elbows that the hasbro one does. hasbro grimlock is great, lacking the above accessories, but has the screws by the tail replaced with flat pins so they don't scratch the chrome

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Hasbro Rodimus seems to have issues with the shoulder joints.

8. wildfly

News Credits:
    The second run of mp8 has flat pins as well, but distinguishing one from the other at time of purchase may be difficult.

9. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    If you dont want the trailer I would go for the hasbro hot rod version its pretty much the same and has less issues

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Hasbro Rodimus
    Takara Grimlock

11. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As someone who has both the Takara and Hasbro MP09, I cannot recommend the Takara version enough. It has better colours, nicer presentation and 'feels' like it's a quality item.
    If you can afford it, go Takara.
    With Grimlock, stick to the Hasbro edition, it's fantastic, and about 30-40% cheaper, and I prefer the deco.

12. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Definately Has Grimlock and IDK about the quality but takara roddy looks better IMO

13. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

I have both Hasbro versions, and for display they're just fine. I love Grimlock, he's one of my favorite figures. I couldn't afford the Takara version of Rodimus, but I've found the Hasbro version to be a very capable replacement. Granted, he's never been out of robot mode, but I'll never display him as a car anyway. I also like the target master he comes with, he's a cool little figure.

I think the Takara versions probably look better, but unless you have all four figures side by side, you'll never notice the difference. I went with Hasbro to save some money, and I'm pretty happy with what I got. Just my 2 cents...

14. wildfly

News Credits:
    Less issues than the original run of MP9.

Evidence indicates it has more issues than the second run of MP9

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro Grimlock had his teeth and claws filed down.

16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Grimlock: His gold is a bit more dull in the US version, he has those weird paint apps on his shoulders and groin\legs and his claws and teeth are filed down. As far as accessories go, the Takara version has an apron and a disc tray with clear plastic bottles. And that brain transfer thing. It's not bad, but you'll hardly display him like that. US version just has a crown. As far as prices go, both are pretty much the same, so go with Takara and you won't regret it. Much better box presentation and paperwork.

Rodimus: I lucked out and got a good US release. Never heard about the knees people talk about here, but his elbows are weird and he's been reported to have breakage on his shoulders [red\maroon pieces]. The matrix is a nice touch, the targetmaster is a Masterpiece Targetmaster mould [NO clue as to why he's not hyped more] and his colours are different enough from the JP version. Not better or worse, but nicely different. If you have the cash though, do go for the JP ver 2.0. Now that is a complete package.

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I personally can't ever imagine going for the Hasbro Rodimus over the deco of the Takara one. The colours on the Hasbro version just look like ass IMO. Just make sure you get V2 for slightly less design flaws.

Grimlock...I think for the price, you're better off going for the Hasbro one unless you're really fussy about the small details.

18. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get MP08 Grimlock,you will not be disappointed

19. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

Grimlock - Hasbro

Rodimus - Takara V2. I bought the Hasbro version but the color scheme just doesn't do it for me... the Takara version went with the G1/1986 movie colors while the Hasbro version went with the actual G1 toy colors - specifically on the shoulders, shins, and chest. I know it's tough comparing just the prices alone, but when I think of Rodimus, I think of his colors in the 1986 movie.

20. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, the silver/grey face and red shins look cheap on TRURoddy, and has been mentioned,,he has bizarre elbows.