Customs: Help making RTS Tracks taller

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by kingnothing80, Dec 19, 2010.

1. kingnothing80

kingnothing80 Well-Known Member

So, after purchasing the new Tracks figure I was a little let down by how short he was in bot mode. So the local HobbyTown had some regular and square styrene tubes and I had the idea to insert a round tube into a square one that was loose enough to allow sliding but tight enough to hold weight without slipping.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the pics, I was able to get this to work. At least by IDW standards and the Jazz spotlight they're almost eye to eye now. By removing 2 of the 4 screws that held his upper torso together as well as the plastic that they anchored into I was able to get the tubing to slide completely into the torso when transforming to car mode.

My problem now is figuring out how to hide the itty bitty waist he now has between his legs and torso. Would painting the styrene the right shade of blue work? Maybe a fold down piece of styrene that hangs under the windshield? It has to be something that allows the top and bottom of the figure to slide together when transforming to alt mode. Any thoughts? Is this even a good idea, or should I try something else?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

even if you painted it, it'd still be a tiny waist that you could see through his windshield. i like his height you achieved, but that looks a little off. i dont' have one of these yet, so I can't offer any more advice. :( 

Randy!

3. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You could paint the windows black that would hide it

4. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro probably could have arranged for an extending waist section, but they opted to use that space to house the automorph unfortunately

5. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How the heck did you get Kup already??

6. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    mmm how about making a acrilyc copy of the piece?
    i mean, i will be transparent and it will be less noticeable

7. kingnothing80

Thanks guys. Painting the windshield may be my best bet. Bigbot, I think If I shave off some plastic to let the arms hang a little lower it won't look as off. I know nothing will help the low waist/legs, but I reckon I can deal with that compromise for the height.

And Thundershot, KOTOYS was my hookup. I waited until he dropped the price below $30 and I pulled the trigger. The local areas have sooo much old product for sale that the wait would be killer.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Did you need to cut out the two screw posts in the lower back to fit this in? It looks great, but like you mentioned, paint that chest window (underside) to help darken the area.

I actually may try this on my Tracks (may have to hit you up for some tips). Great job, man!

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

From what I can tell, painting the windshield black would go a long way to hiding the thinness of the pole, but it would still be noticeable, I think. I quite like your idea of a small panel of styrene to serve as an abdominal section, as long as you can find a way to fold it into the car mode (I don't have the mould yet, so can't offer specific suggestions).

10. kingnothing80

Thanks! A lot of your work inspired me to try things like this (still eagerly awaiting your Classics Jetfire wing mod tut!)

You got it: had to cut out those 2 screw posts for the new waist piece to fit in alt mode, which leaves the sliding shoulder panels just a tick loose. Tightening the 2 remaining screws will help this though.

And Ramrider, I'm still tinkering with an idea for a fold down flap. Got some moving to do this week, so it's slow going, but if anyone comes up with something better feel free to post!

11. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I appreciate the kind words, my friend! Glad I could help inspire another artist in some way. We recently moved into a new apartment and I still have a lot of my customs WIP stuff boxed up. I have a few things out I'm working on, but the majority of my work needs to be unpacked still. So I'll try to get that Classics Jetfire wing mod tutorial up sometime next year. ;)  lol

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this (or something similar) to my Tracks very soon. I've been looking him over and studying his mechanics. I definitely want him a bit taller and less squatty.

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Gotta give a shout out to kingnothing80! I just did this to my Tracks and I'll post a WIP thread soon, but for now, I just wanted to share it here in this thread (since it deals with this mod). I'll just show a few shots instead of the entire bunch. I'll save those for the WIP thread.

I'll be painting the inside of the windshield and side windows to help cover the tube styrene post. I plan to paint some details and maybe do a wash to bring out some of the detail in the mold, but for the most part, I'll be leaving the original paint job intact (it's actually one of the better paint apps I've seen on recent TF toys--and it makes Jazz and his paint apps look kinda plain).

Attached Files:

13. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very cool.. i would paint it blue. nice job to both u guys.