Help - making a video?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ramrider, May 13, 2008.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Over the last couple of days, I've been working on making a video for my girlfriend to use for work - one of those 'misheard lyric' type jobbies.

I basically did it my making up the pictures I needed, and loading them, and the song into Windows Movie Maker and doing the business. But despite using good-quality GIFs, the picture quality came out awfully - smaller than the pics I put in, and the text (which was the most important part of the images) was unintelligible a lot of the time.

Originally it was saved in the default file type, but I think the main problem with that could be that it was an NTSC format, which isn't much use over here. But most of the non-NTSC formats that are options are either really low bitrate or ridiculously high, and would likely take a month to compile.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong - or even suggest a decent (and hopefully free) similar movie-making software for download?

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hate to say it, but if you're looking for something that'll export a decent-looking file, you're gonna have to spend some money. I personally use Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 but I do this for a living. If you're looking to do more than one video project, you may wanna look at something like Pinnacle. For roughly $100 you can get their latest editing software and a breakout box for capture/export. It runs almost exactly like Windows Movie Maker, only on steroids.

From what I read about your project, it looks like you're only working with stills and music. If buying a good program isn't a road you wanna take, might I suggest creating a slideshow with music on MS PowerPoint? It'd be a lot easier and you'll keep a lot of the resolution.

3. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    There are a number of things that could be causing your problems and it is very hard to pinpoint what the problems are without knowing the specifics of the project (file types, type of camera used, camera settings, etc).
    Here are some things you can look into:

First, gifs are not really recommended unless it is for web graphics. The color palate is limited to 256 as opposed to the millions that tv's and displays can display. Gifs are best used for images such as line art, logos and images with text. High quality jpeg images would be better.

Second using NTSC can also be a problem since the tvs in Europe use PAL. Their aspect ratios are different so the final image may be distorted or show up wrong.

If you have access to a Macintosh, look for two programs: iMovie & iDVD on the computer. You can share your iMovie files w/iDVD and use it to make a PAL dvd.

Hope this helps.