Help! Info about rerelease of G1 DVDs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by blaster2001, Jan 17, 2006.

1. blaster2001

blaster2001 Member

Hello fellow transfans,

I was wondering if anyone knows any info regarding a future rerelease of G1 DVDs? Unfortunately, I missed out on them when they were on store shelves and the transfan inside of me has been in dire pain ever since. I've looked at trying to buy them online but they're so expensive now...Didn't Sony buy the rights from Rhino? I'm guessing there's a possiblity of them rereleasing them to coincide with the movie release, but does anyone know anything concrete?

2. TSFC

TSFC Banned

IIRC...didn't Rhino buy the rights from Sony? I had heard that Sunbow was once a Sony division. (or something of that nature.)

Either way, I'm pretty sure the reason the sets are so expensive is due to the fact they're a one time thing. I could be wrong though, I usually am.

3. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

The price is high now, because the DVDs are becoming something of a rarety.
    Rhino had the rights to the Tfs liscence, but Sony now has it. So it's up to them whether or not re-releasing those sets.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'd say it's highly likely we'll see Sony release either volume sets, best-ofs, or season box sets of G1 around the time the live-action TF movie hits theaters. I'm trying to remain hopeful that Sony will offer a more appealing packaging design and better bonus content than Rhino did. And I still hate Rhino's "enhanced SFX". Did like their CGI-animated menus though.

The UK releases had much more effort put into the packaging design and bonus content, but without a Region-free player, you're SOOL.

Blaster, if you don't want to wait to see if Sony will re-release G1, see if there is a GameStop or MovieStop in your area:

http://gamestop.com/ (click on "store locator")

I bought all but one of my G1 DVD box sets pre-owned between both stores, and for less than half retail. And unbelievably, they still had all the bonus insert materials.

I got BW S3 from MovieStop too -- it was priced at $12.99, but I got it for free on their Saturday "Buy 2 preowned Kids/Family Titles, Get 1 Free" sale.

Also check CD Warehouse: http://cdwarehouse.com/ -- I bought one G1 box set from them too, for only $20.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I haven't looked in a while, but http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com had them at the cheapest price on the net with free shipping. Seems like some of them may have been sold out last time I was there. Who knows about now... It might be worth checking out.

**EDIT** Just went and checked for you. They still got the Beast Wars sets, but the G1 sets are gone. :( 

6. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The (Chinese?) box set are seriously all you need.

I bought this

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-20th-Anniversary-25-DVD-98-Epi-BOX-SET_W0QQitemZ6474788217QQcategoryZ617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(Also this http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-20th-Anniversary-25-DVD-98-Epi-BOX-SET_W0QQitemZ6474527992QQcategoryZ617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem but it doesn't come with any of the cool stuff :tongue: )
    And it's great. It has all the G1 episodes (MTMTE-Rebirth) and the Movie. And yes, they all have the original voices.

It's also a LOT cheaper then buying the seperate box sets.

I don't know if they still do, but mine came with RM Prime, 3 TF cards, a nice plastic card of authenticity.

Pardon the crappy pics, but I only had a webcam back then:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And best of all: The coolest paper bag EVER.

[​IMG]

7. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    wow. didn't realize these were going out of print! I still don't have season 3/4...

8. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

They can be found at your local comic book store. Anyone who lives in Kitchener, head out to Gemini Jetpack. I think they still have seasons 1, 1 and 2, and 3.

9. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

Pick up the region 4 Madman sets.

10. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

i just recently felt the urge to complete my collection and didn't realize they were really out of print. so i got my S1 box set at a half price books for 35 bucks... i know rhino isn't the best available version but i wanted to complete the set i had.

11. blaster2001

blaster2001 Member

Thanks guys for all your replies. I am REALLY tempted to get that cheap Chinese version esp. since it has all the original voices, but...I think I'm going to at least wait till summer and hope Sony announces a rerelease...

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Honestly,don't bank on that.In my opinion the likelyhood of ANOTHER full season set being released is unlikely.Simply because the full set was ALREADY released

If you can buy the bootlegs then buy them.What happens if you wait and hear nothing?Worse yet you wait,hear nothing & the bootlegs become hard to find or more costly

You already missed the boat once & if you want the G1 set it'd be a shame if you missed out again

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Try Amazon to see if anyone is selling them used at a decent price. Overstock.com and DeepDiscountDVD might be two other places to try as well. Let us know when/if you find your DVDs anywhere Shaun. There's also a place called bestbookbuys.com that has DVDs too, but it lets you compare new and used prices of the DVDs from several places on the web so you can compare and contrast prices.

14. Shaun_C

Um you misunderstand Fairlady_Z

I already own the Rhino G1 set:D 

What in my post gave you the impression I didn't already own the set or was looking?

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had all the sets minus season 3/4 and was kind of bummed until my friend found it for me, brand new and sealed at his local Wherehouse Music a few weeks ago. :) 

16. blaster2001

blaster2001 Member

Originally Posted by Shaun_C
    >>>>>>Honestly,don't bank on that.In my opinion the likelyhood of ANOTHER full season set being released is unlikely.Simply because the full set was ALREADY released

Here's my two cents: Why would Sony buy the rights to the G1 cartoon AFTER Rhino had already released all the seasons?? Any ideas? It doesn't make very much sense. Although they might have wanted just to protect the license and make sure no one else got a hold of it, I still like to think Sony must have plans for them somewhere down the line...

17. Shaun_C

In my personal opinion.I think it's just a matter of Sony seizing what they perceived to be a hot property.

I just can't see why we'd need another G1 DVD set.Maybe AT MOST they'd release TFTM again.Although this time with different features.But as for releasing all 98 episodes again,I just don't see it

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The show will almost certainly get released again someday by somebody. Maybe on DVD, maybe on some future format. But there's clearly a market for them, and as long as Transformers doesn't take a dive as a franchise it's a little foolish to assume the Rhino DVDs will be the last time anyone tries to make money off of it, especially given that they are out of print. Hell, The Twilight Zone had a run twice as long as Transformers and it has been released in its entirity FOUR TIMES on DVD. If the movie does okay, a huge wave of nostalgia is going to wash over the country, and whoever has the G1 show license at that time will probably get dollar signs in their eyes.

19. HellSpawn

HellSpawn And justice for all...

Why are the Chinese boxes bootlegs? Own a copy of those, but can't find anything wrong with them

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Update: I was at MovieStop yesterday and they had TF S3/P1 preowned for only $24. They also had the TF Armada box set for about $30 (if you go for that sort of thing). No doubt other MovieStop locations have some TF DVD box sets in stock too.

I must caution against buying pre-owned online, especially from an amazon dealer or ebay seller. Unless you can get a 100% guarantee -- in writing -- of a full refund (including shipping) if the product is in any way damaged or unplayable and/or doesn't include additional materials (like inserts, slipcovers, etc.), don't buy it. Buying used online is literally buying blind: you have no way to inspect the product before your purchase.

And I thought Blockbuster closed all their Wherehouse locations. Just did a little research and it appears that they were bought out by Trans World, who also owns FYE and Coconuts Music & Movies. Also found that there are two Wherehouse locations in the Atlanta area. Thanks for mentioning this -- I love shopping at places that sell pre-owned music and DVDs.