Minor/Repaint: Help in building a Classics Jazz

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by grufflock, Feb 24, 2009.

1. grufflock

grufflock Banned

I've got the body built from a Universe Bluestreak (Didn't like Prowl that much, so I'm not sure why I bought Bluestreak....) But I'm unsure on how to do the head. I don't have much in the way of money these days (The company I worked for went under... great) and I'm hoping for some inspiration.

Help!

A small pic of the body so far...

Attached Files:

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I think Prowl's a better base for Jazz, personally (white parts). As for a head, you can try modding the existing one with putty and an xacto knife. Or you can try using one from another figure. There's always an Action Master Jazz or an RID Hightower.

3. grufflock

grufflock Banned

granted: prowl is already white, but I spent enough time getting that damned sticky abomination against man and god into something workable that I was quite happy with.

Don't really want to spend money on another Prowl, even to kitbash.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Not so much the plastic in car mode, but the arms and legs.

5. grufflock

grufflock Banned

i've found a old spare topspin. attempting to use that just to see.

EDIT: Attached W.I.P. pic at the top.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

That's not a bad head.

7. grufflock

grufflock Banned

Thanks! Building a gun for him as well..

Once I get some reprolabels and do some finishing off the painting i'll put up a full gallery in the first post.

One cheap Bluestreak + free Topspin = Funky Jazz!

8. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    I think if you fill in the vent area on the hood it will help with the overall look as Jazz and not just another Prowl repaint.

I filled in the vent on my Jazz custom and cut off the rear wings to make him look somewhat like Jazz's earth mode from the IDW comics.

9. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I think you are doing fine! i like the head, but maybe some putty or styrene to make the visor more triangular would make him more Jazzy! Like wherer you're goin' here, keep it up!:thumbs2: 

10. grufflock

grufflock Banned

I've decided to rework the head, as it seems a little too big for the figure. I'm looking about for a cheap Action Master Jazz head, or at least a cheap Robot Heroes Jazz. I would start rebuilding a head for him, but I can't afford green stuff (which I swear by).

On a sidenote, has anybody built a Trailbreaker from Universe Ironhide? When priming mine to make...better... I noticed how easy it would be.

11. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS I identify as an amalgamated Firetruck/Semi Veteran

News Credits:
    I had thought of doing that awhile ago, but the red interior would make you HAVE to take him completely apart. I might try it with Universe Rachet, and just dye him black

on a side note, your "affiliation" is awesome. Toby Danger rules! I almost changed my last name to Danger (my first is already Toby) after i saw that episode of Freakazoid! glad someone made Venture Bros at least

12. grufflock

grufflock Banned

The first time i saw that "just let me throw a barrel at it" I cried . It still is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Hell, I'm laughing as I write this. Great stuff.

13. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    AM Jazz's head might be too big for the compartment where the head folds into, And RH Jazz head might be too small, Their are a few ppl here and at Sector70 (namely Wheeljack) who could possibly provide you with a better Jazz head with only some minor mods to the underbody bumper piece where the crest of the head folds into (When you see it, it's self explanitory).

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Wheeljack posts here too, but it doesn't matter, his mold is shot, and he's moving so he won't have any available for awhile. The other option is Sculptbot, but he's busy too.

15. grufflock

grufflock Banned

I've been working on casting and rescuplting heads, and I think I'm getting somewhere. Will get pics up at some point (net's down for a while...grrr).

His gun however, is finished. and is massive. I used a Alt Shockwave's Rifle thingy as a base.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I figured that Topspin head would be a bit too big.

A lot of folks have gone this route simply by cutting a small styrene triangle for the visor and gluing that over Prowl/Bluestreak's eyes. That triangular visor is really the most important, distinctive element for capturing "Jazz" I find.

From there it's just a matter of cutting off the head crest "horns" and gluing some new ones to the side of the head. It looks pretty good all finished.

zmog

17. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    The Action Master Jazz head worked fine for me. I got the figure off ebay for $8 shipped. Somehow the thread I made with the AM Jazz head got lost in the transition back to this format though :(  I have another Jazz with the Botcon Jazz head (I can tell you which member here made it if you PM me) and it's still floating around here I think

18. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I can vouch for the Action Master head Jazz that Lucs made, it worked perfectly IMO!!