Help identifying and dealing with paint!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shinobisgreensh, Aug 4, 2012.

1. shinobisgreensh

shinobisgreensh Well-Known Member

Hi there folks,

This is yet another paint thread, as I've seen a few whilst doing my research. I recently purchased a large haul of transformers. There's some great stuff included so largely I'm thrilled, but a few of them (probably 20%) have been painted over (sometimes the entire transformer, sometimes just parts).

Now I've been doing some search time, and I realise this can be tricky, or even impossible to deal with. My only hope is that the paint itself doesn't appear to be vinyl (or whatever it is that is used). It's quite lumpy and doesn't look like it's of great quality. I know absolutely nothing about paint, but I'm guessing it's an acrylic or something like that?

Anyway, I may be better off on a paint forum (!) but is there a way I can identify what type of paint it might be? I figured that if I can tell what paint it is then I can see if I can fight it. If it's acrylic I'm going to try Lestoil, and if not I'll go with Easy Off, following what's recommended in the tutorial section on this site. Has anyone used and therefore confirm that these products might help?

I just wanted to post this to see if anyone could help (in any way really), as I'm an absolute novice and really want to try and save these guys!

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Can you post some pics so we can see what the paintjobs look like? Depending on the quality of the paintwork done, it might be possible to identify the paint.

3. shinobisgreensh

4. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

messy. looks like latex paint

5. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hmm, at first guess it looks like enamel? It's got that kinda...sticky looking quality to it.

6. shinobisgreensh

It's really messy! Just doesn''t look very good and I'm desperate to do something with it. Even if I strip the lot, but the overwhelming preference is to try and save the paint below....

7. shinobisgreensh

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated. Ok, so latex and enamel have been mentioned.

So could anyone advise whether I should try Lestoil for latex, and possibly lacquer thinner for enamel?

8. shinobisgreensh

Any experience out there guys? I'm off to town soon and I'm hoping to pick up something and test these little ones out

9. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

Hey it looks like someone tried to make a rotorstorm.

10. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

& did an awful job.

11. shinobisgreensh

Ha ha! It is an awful job. I've tried to scrape some of it off and it comes, but I'm definitely liable to take some of the paint below due to my own poor technique.

Still looking for advice on substances, please please!

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's a nice idea for a repaint, just very badly executed.

13. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very messy job. Looks as though someone used acrylic paint without thinning it first hence the really thick and smudged look of the coat.

Does it react to water at all? Acrylic is water-based so dipping it in hot water and rubbing it lightly should color the water slightly. To remove it, use really hot water and scrub it off with your nail or the edge of an object that won't scratch the plastic underneath, at one point, the paint should literally peel off like old skin.

14. shinobisgreensh

I like the sound of this! What would you recommend as a surface to try scratching it if my nails don't work?

I bought some easy oven, dipped it for a while and it took some of the paint off whilst using a toothbrush, but in some areas it also removed the base layer.

Going to try the water for a bit

15. shinobisgreensh

Ok the brilliant news is water works. I think! So thank you for that suggestion.

The only problem is it's going to be very difficult to strip because it only comes off when I rub with my nail which only occurs on a small surface area, and as these are very detailed designs that could take a long while (!) and I'm not sure I could reach corners.

Is there something I can use that won't damage the plastic? I'm not sure a toothbrush would stand up to the elbow grease, but I just need something that could get the angles and a fair bit of area at a time?

Sorry about all the questions!

16. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

some nail polish remover, cotton swabs/balls, and toothpicks

17. shinobisgreensh

But won't nail polish remover almost certainly remove the paint below as well?

18. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    Hmm, if it is acrylics it should come off without much force. When in hot water, the paint melts slightly and becomes very latex-like, kinda stretchy and can be peeled of. You just need like the back end of a Bic pen (or something similar) to help dislodge the paint.

However if you're dealing with one of the other paint mentioned, you might need something stronger than just plain water like paint thinner or rubbing alchool but it's risky as you can imagine. I only ever use acrylics so I can't advise you on what to do here, but maybe diluting paint thinner with water so it's not as strong and bathing the toys in that mixture for a full day *might* help. Don't yell at me if the plastic melts! xD

19. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    For corners, seam lines and detailing you might have no choice but to use a hobby knife, just be very delicate with it.

20. shinobisgreensh

I would say that the water has definitely made a difference though. The paint isn't blending with the water, but scratching it with my nail (not too hard) does remove the area I've scratched. It's just that the nail covers a tiny area!