Help identify an old anime

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Excelsior Prime, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Years ago, when I was a kid, I remember seeing this cartoon that involved a guy who piloted a giant robot that turned into a truck.

The kid would drive the truck over these platforms that would rise out of the water, and then the truck would be lowered (I think) to an underwater base.

The kid was attached to the robot and piloted it.

I don't know if this was some dream that I had, which merged a number of different cartoons with my imagination, or if it's something that I really saw.

Can anyone help?

2. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Sounds like Daimos to me. Here's a Wikipedia article on it: Tosho Daimos

And a link to an image of the pilot, the heroine/sister of villain, and Daimos in Robot Mode: Image

And truck mode: Image

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

If you saw it in English, you're probably thinking of Starbirds, one of the obsessions from my childhood. First transformation and battle sequence:
    on Youtube here.
    I loved it as a kid, and recently bought the excellent Soul of Chogokin figure of Daimos/Dynamo.

4. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Holy shit, guys...that's it!

There was this old video store in town when I was a kid that had all kinds of obscure anime and other stuff when I was a kid, and that's where I'm guessing we got this from, as it wouldn't have been on TV.

In fact, I hadn't thought of that place in probably twenty years until seeing that video. That's amazing, and that's definitely what I remember.

I take it this is worth picking up? (the anime and toy)

God, I even used to draw adventures of my own "knock-off" version of this cartoon...the early eighties were great times.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm planning a review of the toy, but if you loved the robot as a kid and can afford it: yes. He's a wonderful hunk of toy.

As for the anime, I can only speak for Starbirds. Starbirds is about an hour or so long, and chops the 40-odd episode anime down to the most relevant bits. You can probably pick up a DVD for a few dollars. I think it's worth it for the nostalgia and Dynamo kicking the crap out of everything.